Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side effects citalopram

side effects citalopram

Hi
    Desperately seaking some advise on these tablets. My husband has just starting taking these tablets and has become worse than he was before. I took these tablets years ago and they really helped me with panic attacks, cant remember ever feeling bad on them. I have read what people say but wanted to just ask again really put my mind at rest.
    he said he is dizzy feeling sick, cant sleep, cant eat and that sickly feeling in your stomach like someone has just died, you will all know what that feels like. I am trying to be really supportive towards him, i am struggling to keep myself calm and am constantly doing my deep breaths and possitive thinking to stop me having an anxiety attack myself.
    any advise would be appreciated some possitive please

Re: side effects citalopram

Hi Syers38,

Iv been on cit for just under 5 weeks and i to felt worst, in fact i was laid up in bed for 3-5 days unable to do anything as i felt weak to the point of feeling as if i was going to pass out and just felt very unwell.

iv stuck to them and i am starting to feel better in myself though i still get my odd day when i feel a little spaced out but im sure its still early days.

hope all works out.

Try and encourage him to stay on the tablets, it's very common for them to make you feel much worse before they start making you better. I havn't had as bad side effects as i imagined, but many people have. I have had a little nausea, problems sleeping and my sex drive has dissapeared, but i can cope with all these if it makes me how i was again. Iv'e only been on them a week, so no positive effects so far, but i'm going to give them a good couple of months before i make my mind up.

Good luck to you both

Hi there, I went really bad when started taking these just to days in
    I was like u discribe. Irritated couldn't keep still couldn't sleep just didn't
    Feel with it, I went bk to the doctors this is quite normal for the first couple
    Of days ore even weeks, but I stopped taking them.
    If he can't handle it cause it can make your anxiety a lot worse as your body
    Gets use to it. Go bk to doc there are other tablets u can take they may give him
    Sertraline they from the same family but may wrk better. ask for some valium
    So he can take it to take the edge off the side effects.

I'm on day 9 of citalopram today and there are times when you can't believe how bad you feel, it hugely increased my anxiety at first and I think it has interfered with my sleep, but the anxiety does appear to be less now than before. I mainly feel it in the morning. My mood improves through the day.

I've said it on other threads but I'll say it again: The most important thing when citalopram makes you want to lay down is to get up and spend time with other people. Sometimes, when you're exhausted, it's fine to lay down for a while, but I would not recommend doing this all the time.

He needs to stay social. People are the antidote to citalopram side effects.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi all I had bad problems with Citolpram for 6 weeks then fine. At the start I was almost in a coma now i take 15mg cut a bit off 20mg that was the right strength for me hope this help Clarice.

So glad I found this thread - i'm so glad i'm not alone!

I've been taking Citalopram for about 8 weeks now, and my side effects were truely upsetting. About an hour after taking my tablet I was knocked out and had to sleep for 4 hours. I had severe anxiety and was sometimes too scared to leave the house on my own. I had headaches, dizziness, and violent vomiting and couldn't eat anything but water and toast. All these effects put a serious strain on my relationship with feelings of guilt on my part.

However, with saying this, even though the side effects can be uncomfortable and very difficult to cope with they do settle down after a few weeks!

Getting a routine helps, and trying to set a goal everyday - even if it's walking to the shops! I've tried relaxation techniques and medication, but nothing helps better than reading a book or watching some light-hearted TV!

Just let your husband know that you're there and if he needs support to ask for help. But let him work through things individually too, as sometimes fussing makes anxiety worse. But the side effects are very common, but it's sometimes just a case of riding the storm until the waves settle after a few weeks, but they will calm - I promise!

Hope this helps.

Thankyou soooooooooooooooo very much everyone all this advise is much appreciated. It really helps when you know you are not alone, all the threads i received i have past onto my husband, he also thanks everyone.
    Things are pretty much the same actually worse his sleeping pattern is awful, he is actually not sleeping at all. It has been 17 days now on tabs. He is really struggling to keep things together, saying he would rather be dead than feel like this. I keep reassuring him that things will get better with time, but i am having my doubts that these tablets may not work for him.
    He is having a bad day today as we went out last night to our local just for a few drinks to keep things normal, He had 4 pints and feels worse today for it. He usually he can drink 10 pints and handle a hangover fine.
    He does lay down alot during the day he says this makes him feel better, but i think he should be up and trying to take his mind of things.
    Anyway folks more advise would be great and help us through this rough patch. How long do we give the tablets before we go back to doctors ?

It really is not wise to drink on this ,as the effects of alcohol are enhanced .It could also make you go back wards,with the medication ie alchohol is a depressant and can cause anxiety/panic .The cit should settle soon , i felt really bad for3weeks when i started on these & felt the same as your hubby.But they will settle ,4-6weeks or less,its well worth persevering.Once your husband has found a dose that makes him feel well again,the odd drink,now and again is possible for some, but only in moderation,. Some people feel ok ,where others cant drink at all.His side effects should start to wear off very soon &if he has to up his dose he wont suffer bad effects again ,if the increase is small he will probably only feel a bit tired.Keeping busy helps to take your mind off feeling bad .but rest will help his nerves get better Hope he feels better soon. luv Sue
    Last edited by suzy-sue; 09-04-09 at 16:15. Reason: added somthng

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information