Thread: Any suggestions for self help

Any suggestions for self help

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows any good books or self help cds for ocd particularly thought based ocd.
    And also do you need to see a psychaitrist for help because i was seeing a counsellor, actually ive seen 3 and it wasnt until my last session (6 months ago) that my counsellor would actually accept the fact that i have ocd (shed been trying to treat me for depression and i kept telling her im only depressed because of these thoughts) Anyway all she suggested was that i see a psychaitrist and get medication.

Re: Any suggestions for self help

I bought a book from amazon 'cognitive behaviour therapy for dummies' which was about £8.99. To be honest i havent had chance to read it yet because my partner hasnt put it down. He says that its really good and is giving him some really useful tips for overcoming his anxiety and strategies on self help. There is also a section devoted entirley to obsessive compulsive disorder so this could be worth checking out! Before you buy it check to see if your local library as got it or get them to order it in for you to borrow.

Hiya

I find that the website OCD UK is really helpful as it shows the 4 steps to recovery and seems to have an answer to every question I have had so far. Hope this helps xxxxxxxxxx

Although not concerned with OCD exactly. I would recommend:

*Anthony Robbins and his Audio Tape called "Healthy Living" (You can find this online but I don't want to encourage piracy I'm sure you can order it legally) This has been the single most beneficial thing I have ever listened too. I can't stress enough how much these audio lectures have done to help me!!!!

go to bearshare .. you can download all you need from there..all kinds of relaxation music etc..self hypnosis..xample..paul mckenna..and so on ..anthomy robbins also..good luck

I have just ordered a book called "evolve self confidence" which sounds great it is all about anxiety related conditions you can read the introduction before you order it. I cant wait for my copy to come through the author is terry dixon.

Take care
    hawaii1990

Thread Information