Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toilet roll obsession/cleaning OCD

Re: Toilet roll obsession/cleaning OCD

See Phil, you're by no means the only one to suffer ike this! I reckon you and Louise would get on fine together! If I were younger and free like you I'd jump at the chance! You did make me smile Louise...in a Nice way!

Poor "Lady Louise". I mean that Sincerely!What an ordeal for you! I know because as you can see I've been there myself!

Speaking of .... I'll tell you my Worst experience!

When I was 21 I visited the USA but one morning after leaving a hotel, my anxiety got the better of me and I urgently needed to do No.2 so the first place I could find was a Bar that was open. When I went into the gents I found the loo behind a screen next to the urinals BUT although the loo was hidden, the screen wasn't long enough to hide me! All I can say is it made me forget my OCD Really fast especially after 2 blokes came in to use the urinals and gave me funny looks!

I don't know if that Bar was typical in the USA but I've never seen one like that over here thank goodness!

I just feel it is not possible to to ride out the anxious feeling as almost all of mine are followed by intrusive thoughts so if I do not do them it could really end bad and I can not deal with those feelings.

It won't though Louise but the only way to find out is by pushing the boundaries that make you feel so uncomfortable. I know it's Very difficult but the long term rewards are certainly worthwhile though. By the way, I that it was normal for Ladies to take a Long time in the loo!!!

I don't know if that is the norm or not Bill, I'll have to ask my hubby. First I must clarify that I love the French and France but when I was over there visiting I was quite shocked that the men and ladies shared the restrooms. I didn't know what to wipe down and then you also had to pay! I also will not go in public restrooms unless I have no choice but never considered until I read this post that it could be related to my OCD.

Laura

Laura

Just thought you'd be interested to know that this Bar was near a ranch where I stayed where we went horse riding in Pennsylvania. It was easy to remember because I went through the town called "Intercourse"! Yes, Really! Look it up! It's a real town with their own paper containing the Intercourse news! Ermmm, I never enquired how the town got its name!!!

I've been to France too and yes, I remember the loos there too!

Hi Bill, Lady Louise here
    Lol I was so embarrased by posting that! But I am happy I did because your response made me giggle.
    Plus if it helps someone else understand they are not alone I guess it is worth it

I am terrible if I go to the ladies I rush myself so no one would have chance to even THINK that I may have been doing a no 2!! I have to be in and out in like 2 mins! I time myself! But considering I have to line the seat with paper it does not give me much time to do my erm business
    I have been trying to push the bounderies but it gets me so worked up that I give in and HAVE to do what my ocd tells me or it finds ways to make me do even more to make up for not doing the one I had a fight with... does that make me sound crazy? lol

Thank you Bill x

LOL Bill, I have heard of that town in Pennsylvania, haven't been there though!

Laura xxx

Hello Lady Louise

I'm glad I made you giggle because I thought afterwards I might have said the wrong thing!

I'm glad you posted because it's made me think about something - "The fear of Embarrassment" which I'll expand on in a mo.

never considered until I read this post that it could be related to my OCD.

Maybe I should say Lady Laura too! ....I think "maybe" it's more that your OCD might be related to a toilet phobia just like Louise and Phil. I'm only guessing because I'm not sure exactly what your fear is of public loos.

Speaking generally, I think we're very sensitive people so are very conscious of others perceptions towards us. I think we may have been taught that "natural bodily functions" are "dirty" which then makes us sel-conscious due to our sensitivity.

On top of this though, we're worriers so combinng what we fear is "dirty" together with others who may have used a toilet before us, we then worry about picking up germs and this fear then triggers an OCD behaviour due to what we perceive as a "threat" to our safety. i.e. germs.

Going back to fear of embarrassment though, I think this links in to our sensitivity which makes us shy. We don't like drawing attention to ourselves, especially when it's in relation to something we feel embarrassed about whatever the natural bodily function is i.e going to the loo, wind!, crying, blushing etc. I think this is also why we worry about what we say because we don't want others to think we're silly, weird, bad, pathetic etc because we're afraid of embarrassment and hurt.

Alot of our irrational or over-cautious behaviours are caused by one thing - Fear. Fear creates worry. Worry creates sel-doubt. Self-doubt creates a lack of confidence which creates anxiety which when added all together creates irrational behaviour i.e. OCD.

I can remember when I was young! that I was very serious, intense, extremely shy and very rigid in my thinking. When it comes to bodily functions, we have to remember that Everyone is the Same and so we all have to "go" and we all make noises! It can't be helped and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Just like seeing a doctor - they've heard and seen it all before but we're the ones who feel embarrassed because of our sensitivity. I think we just have to remember to try not think about how we "feel" and remember that we're no different from others. We're all just human and we all do things that humans have to do so try not to be embarrassed for being human!

When it comes to irrational fear, try to remember what is rational and what is irrational so that when anxiety tries to force your OCD, try to remember it serves no purpose other than to feed your anxiety so try to stick to doing what is sufficient and rational because then anxiety does gradually ease and things in time get better.

Hi Bill

May I just say that was inspiring!
    That did make me see OCD in a whole new light! Dont know if I will ever over come it though!

'Lady' Louise x

Wet toilet wipes are the way forward, until you learn to control this urge.

I have never heard this one before, but I can imagine it being quite a common one, most people might be embarrassed to talk about it...

Chin up!

"A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships."

Lady Louiseand Phil ,

You WILL come through it IF you refuse to let it control you but like all anxieties, it can feel very hard to fight against but it's certainly not impossible.

I don't know if OCD affects you in other ways but in my previous posts I've written about the OCD problems I've suffered from which I've overcome. To give you some examples - words heard when turning the TV/radio on/off, touching anything black, crossing the road behind black cars, avoiding cracks in the pavements, walking through doorways from one room to another or from paths to roads outdoors, hoovering, cutting the lawn,washing hands, putting on/taking shoes off/doing laces, positioning objects, closing doors/windows/checking, switches, cooker controls, taps, closing books, hearing/reading words, stepping out the shower, putting things away, washing, dressing/undressing, touching brass handles, loo doors/seats, public seats, time on clocks/numbers, intrusive thoughts, programmes on TV, counting, cutting nails, writing, correcting errors, throwing things away, touching/emptying bins, opening/closing/putting things in draws etc .....probably others but I can't remember!!!

Anyway, ALL the above used to cause me OCD behaviour in a BAD way but now they DON'T so if I can overcome that lot, I'm SURE you can too!!! You just need to learn how and take that first step!

IF OCD affects you in other ways, a suggestion for you......

Write a list of ALL the chores that cause you OCD behaviour then write a figure of 1 to 10 beside each one. 1 against the chores that cause you the least anxiety, 10 against the chores that cause you the most problems.

Then target the No.1's and push yourself to resist performing OCD rituals with them. Be patient and give yourself time but once you feel at ease with the no.1's, move on to the the no.2's and so on.

You'll find that with each OCD ritual you overcome, your confidence will build so that by the time you reach the higher no's on your list, they'll feel much much less of an obstacle compared to when you set out.

I can Truthfully say that I do still get intrusive thoughts, things do happen sometimes or I simply have a bad day BUT now I Don't perform OCD rituals like I used to so I Do know that OCD can be overcome and you can get better too!

Oh and by the way, I was given seroxat once but it made me feel so ill I refused to take it anymore so I helped myself to overcome these OCD rituals Without the support of medication. I'm just saying because although medication can help to ease symptoms, it IS possible to overcome OCD for Yourself because the cure is within YOU!

Take care Lady Louise.

Sorry Bill but there is absolutely no way I cannot alphabetize my canned goods and cds. I can only go so far, lol.

Lady Laura

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information