Thread: Heart rate when working out

Heart rate when working out

Hi,

Well I know I suffer from HA big time and I also suffer skipped beats and palpitations. My doctor says that working out is the best thing to do for this. I haven't excersized really in over a year (since my HA and panic attacks began). I decided to start today. My friend and I went on a bike ride this afternoon and my heart rate got very very fast from the start. It felt like it was much higher than 200 the entire time we were riding which was for 3 miles. I was a little out of breath, but I was able to chat with my friend while riding and I didn't have any chest pain. Just a racing heart.

Am I just paranoid and very very out of shape? It went back down to a normal rate within 10 mintues of stopping the work out. I'm not overweight and smoke only a few times per week.

Thanks for reading
    Shelly

Re: Heart rate when working out

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly80 View Post
    Hi,

Well I know I suffer from HA big time and I also suffer skipped beats and palpitations. My doctor says that working out is the best thing to do for this. I haven't excersized really in over a year (since my HA and panic attacks began). I decided to start today. My friend and I went on a bike ride this afternoon and my heart rate got very very fast from the start. It felt like it was much higher than 200 the entire time we were riding which was for 3 miles. I was a little out of breath, but I was able to chat with my friend while riding and I didn't have any chest pain. Just a racing heart.

Am I just paranoid and very very out of shape? It went back down to a normal rate within 10 mintues of stopping the work out. I'm not overweight and smoke only a few times per week.

Thanks for reading
    Shelly
    I'd say it is more so paranoia, but I'm not a doctor, and the best advice I could give you is to monitor it, and if your heart rate doesn't get any better, or you start feeling physical ailments past just being sore, then you should see your doctor again.

Thanks for commenting. I hope thats all it is....a little paranoia and a lot of being out of shape.

You could FEEL like it's over 200 but in reality I bet it's much lower. It would be abnormal if your heart rate did not increase with physical exercise.

Hi, ive just started doing exercise for pretty much the frst time in my life about a month ago! i got an exercise bike which has a pulse monitor on it.....i find my heart rate shoots up very fast id say 150+ after riding moderately and slightly uphill for 5 minutes. If your fitness has gone down im told it can take a while to get it back.

Another thing i notice is that on days when my anxiety is bad my pulse rate starts off higher and goes up more quickly, it seems logical as there is more adrenaline and imput from the sympathetic nervous system before exercise has even started.

You guys are all so great. Thanks for the reassurance, I think that is mostly what I need because I get so scared so fast. Thats why I love this web site, it helps me not voice these fears to my friends and family who only get frustrated wtih me.

So I found an online timer last night and counted at the rate I felt while I was working out. Not 100% accurate of course, but it gave me an idea and it was about 190-192. I doubt it exceeded 200. And then I looked up online and they said for a woman of my age, 190 is my "target" heart rate. Its just I got there within 2 minutes of starting which means I am horribly out of shape. But I feel so much better.

Thank you guys! Shelly

My friend and I went on a bike ride this afternoon and my heart rate got very very fast from the start. It felt like it was much higher than 200 the entire time we were riding which was for 3 miles. I was a little out of breath, but I was able to chat with my friend while riding and I didn't have any chest pain. Just a racing heart.
    When me and my mate went on our first (and so far, last) bike ride we went round a little village called Ulley. What we didn't know is, Ulley is built on the hill that never ends. Every time you struggle around a corner the gradient increases by another five degrees. I was shouting curses at him for bringing us up that hill and when we got to the top we both got off our bikes and collapsed. My mate's head was blood red like a beetroot and my temples were pounding like they were gonna explode.

The moral of the story: you haven't been on a proper bike ride until your blood feels like it's going to erupt from your veins

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

PsychoPoet:

LOL! Your story made laugh out very loud in a very quiet office!! I don't think I could have handled anything up hill! It was bad enough going 3 miles on flat ground. Maybe next time (hopefully today) I'll take it a little easier and build up my poor cardio strength!

Shelly

Thread Information