Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped my Medication

Stopped my Medication

Hi all,

I haven't taken any Exeffor tablets since Monday of this week. The reason being that I ran out and never made it too the doctors on time on Xmas Eve to get a repeat prescription. This made me feel a little on edge on Xmas day and Boxing Day. :(

Anyway, I have been experiencing diziness, upset stomach and more scarily weird feelings on my right side of my head...I have been taking paracetomol which seems to have helped a bit. It seems a bit different to a migraine. I tried to phone NHS24 for some advice but they were so busy over the Xmas period that i couldnt get to speak to anyone at the time.

Does anyone know about the symptoms when you have stopped your medication? Are they dangerous or will it just take time for the medication to get out your system??

Please help[:0]

sadie

They may feel bad for a while but they will pass.

They are not dangerous but can be very unpleasant. It depends what dose you were on when you stopped whether you had been tapering down or not.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Radar,

I was taking 75mg every 2nd day. I dont think I will bother getting anymore now. How long will these symptoms last?

I think I will start 2004 on a positive note and focus on coping without the meds. At least I can always come for support here. Thanks for replying so quick for me..you are a star!!

Hope you had a lovely time in Switzerland.

sadie

hi sadie,

coming off meds,is difficult,at the best of times,let alone the xmas period...women seem to take the responsibility of getting everything right,on there shoulders,and can make an anxious person,even more so.

going without your meds during this time,must have been very difficult for you,but youve got through the worse of it now,and you should feel very proud of yourself,its little steps like this,that slowly turn into big steps.

i know,that you were a bit emotional over xmas,but that was to be expected,my friend,every household in the country,had at least one over emotional person in it...it seems to be the time of year to let lose,a few tears,and there better out,than in!

so,get your journals at the ready,next year is not going to be easy,but between us,were going to take little steps together,invisible hands,holding each other,whispering encouragement to each other,post every little success,doesnt matter how small,it may seem to you,to someone else,it may seem a giant step.

youve seen xmas through,without any meds,thats a great success on its own,be proud of yourself sadie,because,we all are ..bryan.

Bryan,

Well as I said to you before, i have been a bit emotional over Xmas and after reading your post the tears seemed to flow yet again.

Thanks for your lovely words and kind support. You have been such a help to me over the last few weeks. Its because of people like you that makes me feel that I will do this because you have faith in me and everyone else on this forum. You truly are a lovely person.

sadie

Hi Sadie,

I'm still here till tomorrow and cannot get used to the french keyboard...

If you accept that you may feel a bit edgy for some time it'll be easier, rather than worrying about every twinge of anxt.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Radar,

i just cant seem to get it together at the moment. just came back from the shops as I really felt dizzy, sick and the twinges in my head are scaring me...I feel tingly down the right side of my body...could it be a migraine???I'm so confused and so worried (fighting back the tears as I write this!!)

I have phoned NHS24 now, but i still feel worried. The nurse I spoke to said the symptoms I am experiencing are due to stopping my med too quickly..and that they should pass in a weeks time!!! I am worried I have something wrong with my head..

I am so sorry for being like this over Xmas...I just dont no what else to do..

sorry

sadie

Sadie,

I agree stopping it quickly or suddenly is not the easiest way.

Those twinges you've mentioned before when you were dropping doses. You do not get them every day. If it is a migraine - it will pass , if it is a anxiety withdrawal then it too will pass - albeit after making you feel quite paniky and all the symptoms that come along with it- of which all you mention can be anxiety related.

As you haven't got any tabs you will need to go through withdrawal sympoms to stay off them so either go and get some tabs asap or be firm and make a contract with yourself that you will get through this, look after yourself nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually and physically and will put up with symptoms for 3 weeks and then review the situation.

we'll support your through it but you need to be able to cope with some discomfort and NOT allow yourself to dwell on all the other highly unlikely options for twinges and feelings.It's not just about positive thoughts but separating the rational ones from the totally imaginary ones.

Meg

Thanks Radar,

I know your'e right about putting everything into perspective..something which I do find quite difficult..especially in moments of anxiety.

I will do my best to not worry too much about these symptoms.. as you say, they will pass.... I think I will stop the med altogether though, as I have never truly felt comfortable on them anyway.

The thing that gets me though, is my GP was happy for me to just take 6 tabs every 2nd day until they finished and then that would be me weaned off them. I had to go back and ask for more tabs as I felt terrible then too. Surely he should have pre warned me about these side effects? Maybe I wouldnt be soo worried now if he had explained to me how I may be feeling... The nurse I spoke to at NHS24 said only 3% of the population experience these side effects is that true?

sadie

sadie,

just take a few minutes,to sit quiet,with no distractions,it might be a good idea,just to lay on top of the bed,in the dark...rest your hands gently on your tummy,and concentrate on your breathing,just for a few minutes...now keep repeating out loud...these symptoms ime having,are just a reaction...cos thats wot they are my friend,they are due entirely to withdrawing from your meds,they happen to everybody...it happened really bad to my sister,when i got her off diazepam...there is nothing physically wrong with you...keep telling yourself that,out aloud,dont worry wot hubby might say...making affirmations out aloud has been going on for thousands of years,and will continue to do so...every morning in the large squares,in the centre of chinas cities,tens of thousands of people do tai chi,and affirm away their fears and worries,so they can get on with their lives.

sadie,you are okay...these symptoms are horrible...but they will go away,and you will feel stronger afterwards..now,blow your nose..take a deep breath..every day,in every way,ime going to get better...bryan.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information