Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi, my first post!

hi, my first post!

hi, i've been in chat for a couple of weeks now so i thought i would introduce myself properly.

I am 31 and ever since i can remember i have worried and obsessed about things. My mum was ill a lot when i was younger and when i was 17 she died of cancer. Ever since, i have suffered from depression and anxiety, the worst of which has been health anxiety. :(

I have been to the doctors so many times with symptoms i was convinced were cancer. I also developed a habit of checking symptoms over and over again to see if anything had changed - weird i know! [:I]

About 3 years ago, i had been quite stressed out and my anxiety got completely out of control. I had this horrible feeling i had cancer even though i couldn't find any symptoms to 'prove' it. I felt sick with worry all the time and thought about illness and dying all the time - i felt like i had completely lost control of my thoughts.

Since then i have been taking fluoxetine which has made a massive difference. I actually believe the depression is over now, and although i still have episodes of anxiety it is much more under control. I'm now trying to find out as much as i can about anxiety so i can keep in control of it when i stop taking my meds. Which is how i found this site...

Sorry this is a long post, but i have found it so helpful reading other people's posts. It has really made me realise i am not alone. Plus it has taken me about 15 years to get this off my chest so i might as well do it all in one go!

I am so pleased i have found this place, i have met so many lovely people in chat already, and i look forward to meeting more of you soon.

Take care,
    mag xxx [8D]

Hi Mag,

A BIG warm welcome to the site hun. Glad you are coping better now.

I to suffer with a health anxiety at times. Here are some examples in this recent post i did.

FLORIDA TRIP!!!!!

I think it helps to laugh sometimes else I would crack up LOL!

I hope this site helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

The Battle that Rages in my Head
    contiuously obsessed with dying
    can someone reasure me?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

hi mag
    welcome to the forum i too suffered health anxiety for a while especially in the early days i thought i had cancer one week a brain tumer the next i was always at the doctors, now it seems to be general anxiety.
    glad your finding all the posts helpful it helps me too[8D]
    love michelle xxx

Take Care

Frankie

Hello Stawberrie,

Welcome to the site

Claireabell

Hi Mag

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Mag

We have met in chat so lovely to see you on here as well.

Welcome aboard.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Mag,
    know totally where you are coming from with the thinking you are about to die thing.
    One small piece of advice I was given that has helped me with reducing anxiety is to replace the "What if?" that speeds through your mind with "So what!". It's not easy at first but I found that at least trying to take this attitude with most stuff seemed to lower my baseline level of anxiety which in turn seemed to reduce the number of symptoms and therefore the "What ifs?" in the first place. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Trev

Hi Mag

A big warm welcome to you

[^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]

MANDIE XX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information