Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Night

Bad Night

Hi, I started my meds last night (just 10mg) and had a really bad nights sleep - is this normal at the start? I'm already so scared as I keep getting dizzy spells etc so I'm worried things are going to get worse now! Any help would be greatfully recieved!

Re: Bad Night

Marc,

It is very common to have bad night sleep when you start taking Citalopram. You might be better off taking the meds in the morning for a better night sleep, although that might mean that you will notice more side-effects during the day.

Dizziness is also a common side effect, really don't worry about it, most side-effects are harmless and will go away within a few days. I think days 3-6 were most potent for me.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for the advice - I try to keep calm and then I have a funny and get worried!! Will try to remember that it won't hurt me.

Hi Marc, welcome to the wonderful world of citalopram

If you weren't suffering sleeping problems before you started taking citalopram, I recommend you take your tablet in the morning starting tomorrow. Don't carry on taking them at night, it's not worth it if it's gonna interrupt your sleep. My sleeping patterns returned to near-normal after about 10 days on citalopram. That's a long time to go without much sleep.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thanks for the advice! I will take my next one in the morning and see how that goes.

Hey marc I would definately take it in the morning. When I started them it took a few days to get a good nights sleep but it will pass and what you are feeling is perfectly normal. When you start them you are already anxious and they may make you more anxious for the first few days but they will start to work soon. Well done for taking the first step. You will be glad soon enough that you gave them a try. Just remember that you are not alone. We are all in the same boat here and I know it can be scary. I would just urge you that everytime you feel scared, dizzy, anxious, panicky and over tired to say to yourself that it will be worth it in the end and you will be stronger than ever. If you ever need any advice or have any questions feel free to message me. This forum has been a life saver for me. x

Thanks, makes me feel better. Did you find that when the side effects pass the anxiety symptoms will also go?

Absolutely yes! It just needs to level out. The side effects are horrible I know, but when they are gone and the anxiety too it is soooo worth it!

Sounds lovely! Thanks for all the advice, it makes me feel a bit better

Marc, I'm also changing to taking it in the morning instead of at night.

My citalopram-inspired anxiety has calmed down A LOT in the last week and I haven't suffered from those horrible night-time panic attacks for a while. That's partly cos I had so many attacks I can now spot them a mile off, so they don't bother me much when they do happen, but the side effects are definitely settling down.

You need to keep going because you will notice a difference when the side effects calm down. Think of the first two weeks of citalopram as an exercise in character building

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information