Thread: Will this ever kick in?

Unhappy Will this ever kick in?

I know it is good to be patient, but I am losing my patience!!!! I have been on sertraline for four weeks, from 50 to 75 to 100 - I have had the most awful side effects - which are now subsiding, but I still feel no better, perhaps the anxiety is better, but it was such a bad side effect I have forgotton what I was like before I took sertraline. Certainly the depression is no better..... I came off of cipralex, which I had no result with, and I really expected something to happen with sertraline. I am seeing my consultant on Monday (he was optimistic I'd feel better when side effects reduced) and am scared he will change meds, and I will have to go through all the side effects again.
    Is it possible I will feel some changes soon or is this yet another non-runner?

Re: Will this ever kick in?

Hi Peppercat

Hang in there.
    It does take AGES to kick in. I started on a spoonful of liquid Sertraline for a couple of months, to get me used to it. Then I have been on 50mg, for a while, up to 75mg and back to 50mg again. Currently I am having 2 months of 25mg once a day, then the same amount every 2 days to try and get me off them.

I seem to remember every time I upped or decreased a dose, I would feek "strange" for a while. I think they take such a long time to get going. I have been on them for Anxiety - mostly health related. Have you had any side effects?

Mooky

Hi, I'm taking the Sertraline for anxiety & depression, you ask about side effects!! My consultant put me on 50mg, then 75mg & then 100mg all in 3 weeks!!! My side effects were horrendous, mainly increased anxiety - panic attacks, which I don't normally have & one day sleeping & the next all twitchy - not eating .....Luckily I did have some Lorazepam to help me through. The last few days the side effects have faded, and I am really waiting for an improvement in my mood, I just felt like crying all day at work today - my anxiety was not bad at all, but I would loved to have a little lift in my emotions. Ah well thanks for the reply I hope your program of meds is improving your quality of life, I wish you well, we have to remember we are not alone in our suffering.
    Peppercat

Iv been on 50mg for about 4 or 5 weeks they just dont seem to be working at all. Should i go see my GP and get my dose bumped up ?

It took me just over 6weeks before I saw any improvement, I was up'd from 50 to 100mg in that time 2. I had terrible side effects, everything got 100 times worse when I started taking them. I now fee normal 99% of the time, so I do think they work but I'm convinced the reason I don't feel EXACTLY myself is due to the medication.
    [Worrying won't protect - it doesn't help and can only make worse. Short term relief of anxiety by google etc doesn't help in the long run and the fact your acting on it only makes worse - let it pass over you

"Rem it kicks in at the unconscious level, thats why, triggers are the cause, remeber the anxiety is like the adrenal system kicking in fight or flight for what you think is no reason, the unconscious is the part that fires this responce"]

Thread Information