Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smear question - anyone help any nurses possibly.....

Smear question - anyone help any nurses possibly.....

I had my smear test 3 weeks ago a year early as I want to try for another baby soon, which would mean I go overdue if I didn't have it. Having health anxieties I felt that wasn't good and my Dr agreed.

I made an appt to see the nurse to get it done and this is where my worries begin.

1st she told me off for coming early and basically implied I was wrong to do so despite my Dr saying it was fine.

She commented on my notes that the Dr had noted I was anxious about it - and that she doens't even know whether the hospital will check it because I have come to early - ie before my 3 years!!!

So now I have had a smear test that I don't even know whether I will get the result for. Its bad enough that I worry for the weeks when I have had it done, but not knowing whether I will get anything back is torture.

She got me so flustered I also got the dates of my last period wrong. I said it was 5 days later than it was, so I am now worried they might not read it right and I get they miss something bad.

I feel totally gutted because I felt I was doing the right thing and have been made to feel a complete idiot for it.

Many thanks
    Sarah

Re: Smear question - anyone help any nurses possibly.....

If you've had a smear, you will get the results, they can't not send it off, they HAVE to.

There is a window i know of when its best to have a smear done, if its slightly out of these dates, i'm sure it won't make any different...especially not between normal and an abnormal result.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Thanks Belle, the Nurse said she was going to send it off, but said she didn't know whether the hospital would read it when they got it.

I don't know why she said that.

hi, i am a nurse and 5 days won't make a difference

she had no right at all to comment on you being anxious earlier, specifically when she had read the notes and knew you were anxious about it, for goodness sake, she should have put you at ease not made you feel worse

the hospital will test it, but they will also comment on the fact you had it done only two years ago. try not to worry honey xxx
    Last edited by Rhian_78; 04-04-09 at 11:15.

Thanks Annie,

I really appreciate that you have really helped me

I was just so worried that they would read it and then muddling up my period dates made me even more worried.

to top it all off my period came early that month so goodness only knows where I was in my cycle!!! I forgot to mention that will that make a difference?

This smear test has caused me nothing but worry when it was supposed to reassure me.

Thanks again
    Sarah

sometimes the only difference it can make as regards the time of your cycle is that the test might come back:

too many cells/not enough cells/unreadable

THIS DOES NOT IN ANY WAY MEAN ANYTHING BAD

it simply means that the cervix is lined with cells that would nortmally prepare your body for pregnancy, so it is thicker and the cells they view to check for cancerous changes, are not viewable as they are obscured by the other cells, if you get that?

so don't be surprised if that is the result, it truly is nothing to worry about. also, if there was anything wrong, you would have heard by now sweetie, you would also have heard if they had decided not to test it just as quickly.

onn my last smear i felt the same, as previously i had two tests were the cells were insufficient, and it scared the hell outta me, but please don't worry if it does, it simply means another re-test

you'll be fine chicken xxxxxx

Thank you - I understand. Thank you for the explanation. Its good to know how it works and thanks for taking the time to explain it to me xxx

It was frustrating because I never had my 1st smear until I was 28 (I am now 31) due to my health anxieties and to build up your confidence and have done is a big thing, so when you go and have your second and that happens it doesn't help much!!!

Its also good to know if there had been any problems I would have heard by now. My last smear test took 9 weeks to come back - all OK - I was dreading waiting that long again to be told they hadn't read it or there was something wrong!!!

I would have asked my Dr, but I do tend to plague him with questions and although he is the kindest most patient GP I know - I like to give a break sometimes. Bless him. I see him once a month as it is for my anti depressants and phone him at least once or twice a month with questions!!!

xxxx

all hospitals are different, but the longer time elapses, the more reassurance you can get, i do believe now that the tests are quicker as a new, more efficient technique is being used, they use a brush as opposed to the lovely wooden stick!!

i am exactly the same, i've jsut been through three months of thinking i had a brain tumour, optical neuritis and MS, i cuurrently have none!! so i know where you arre coming from.

my counsellor said to me - take solalce that you have an awareness of things and that you are sensible enough to seek help if you think soemthing is wrong.

i really am trying to turn around my way of thinking, its not easy, but we can support each other and get there together

HUGS XXXXX

Yes I noticed the nurse swilling it around in a jar as opposed to putting it on a slide which is ehat I thought they did. and my Dr mentioned when had it 2 yrs ago they had changed the method and he said that is why it took so long as they had a backlog or something!!!

I am sorry to hear you suffer so badly too. Its such a crippling illness and I hate it.

Amongst the cancer I worry about HIV and hepatitas C!!! These are the most common ones with me. But I have had MS before too.

I must be mad contemplating coming off my anti depressants to have another baby because I really struggled when carrying my daughter - but in the end she was soooooo worth it. She is my world and the best therapy ever when I am down or worried. She is 2 and 1/2 and has me laughing all the time

Its nice to find support amongst people who understand. Most of my friends think I am mad!!

HUGS to you xxxxx

hey, we would get along so well!!

believe it or not, i had HIV for three years, until i was tested for it when i was pregnant, my beautiful baby jsut turned three this week and she is our world.

i really feel better talking to others about it, as until i found this site, i thought i was the ONLY person in the world who would feel like this. iikind of get annoyed by it too, as being a qualified nurse, i feel i shouldn't even feel like this, i forget at times i am human too

we'll be all ok

xxxxxx

stay in touch!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information