Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will this happen AGAIN!

Will this happen AGAIN!

Hi :(
    I am so pleased I have found this website!!
    I have just had my first panic attack (SAT morn 3.30am 21st June) I had been out for the night with the girls....had lots to drink and also we had been smoking some puff - I have been doing this for years with no signs of PA! So I went to bed at about 2am i felt soooo relaxed and calm and then my boyfriend said he was talking to me and I was just looking through him he tried to move me but I was a dead weight, then I remember sitting bolt upright and with the most awful pain down my left arm - so now I think Im having a heart attack!! I suffer with peanut allergy too, so luckily I remembered to deep breath - but now my chest is going very tight and around my back too...then I start feeling like im going to pass out, and then that leads me to thinking if I pass out Im going to die!!! My boyfriend got on the phone and dialed 999 and he told them I was having a heart attack, and was getting advice from the telephonist on what to do in this case!! I then told my boyfriend I loved him coz I'm thinking that im gonna die- it all sounds very dramatic I know, but I was so scared!! The paramedics came and explained to me I was having a PA (so now I felt really silly!!) I had an ECG done anyway to check it was a PA..But then I couldn't get the events out of my head, so I didn't fall to sleep until 6.30am!!! Now I am v worried about this what causes them - I don't really have any stress in my life that I can say would make this happen...would it be smoking puff or drinking that caused it??? I am a very hyper person always active ( I don't think I had a lot of sleep the night b4 about 4hrs) on the other hand my boyfriend is a very stressful person so maybe that rubs of on me I can't make it out !! especially as I was sooooo calm b4 it all happened...will I get more too this is really worrying me - Does anyone have any answers??
    Thanks Steph

SD

Hi Steph,
    I would make an appointment to see your GP if you have not alreadu done so.
    My attacks started back in January and I thought I could cope on my own, I lasted until March by which time they had taken control over me and had stopped me doing everything I use to love.
    He prescribed me beta blockers and arranged for me to see a psycologist. The psycologist has been a great help, he explained why they happen, that the symptoms I get are not life threatening and nothing bad would happen to me as a result.
    Despite all this the attacks still shake me but I am slowly beginning to understand them and not fear them quite so much.
    I have found what gets me now is the anxiety of having another attack which in itself can cause the symptoms of the panic attacks.
    What I would say to you is not to stop doing the usual things, like going out, shopping or to work, this was my big mistake and trust me it is alot harder to start doing these things again than it would have been to go out in the first place. The fear of having an attack in public and losing control is high but what I do when I am out is look for people who if I needed them to would help me , eg a shop assistant, work colleague. By telling myself this when I go in it reassures me, Three months later I have never had to ask for help from anyone and everyone is oblivious.
    Hope this helps in some way
    Let me know how you get on
    Elizabeth

Thanks Elizabeth,Do you really think there is a good chance then that I will have more PA??? then....Can it not just be a one off??? Am I in Denial??

Steph

SD

Howdy yawl!! Elizabeth you could well have just the one panic attack and that's it. That happens to some. No one knows for sure why people get panic attacks. Some say it's to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain or someut, which I think basically means people are born with this imbalance. Others say it's to do with our llifestyle.

Even if u were to have another attack u know they are harmless. Nothing ever comes of them. As Elizabeth said, don't stop enjoying yourself etc. if you did happen to get another one. I don't let them get in the way of my lifestyle.

You weren't silly for thinking u were having a heart attack and having people come check on you. Plenty of others have done the exact same thing.

Later, John

Hi Steph - my first panic attack happened after a heavy night boozing so I guess it was similar to yours.

I left my panic too long and then it got worse so don't keep thinking about the next attack but if you have one then go to the docs and get help straight away.

I ended up seeing the emergency doc only two weekends ago cos I got panicky and then couldn't breathe etc. He patted me on the head and said "you will be fine - just go home and relax". I did feel stupid but I also needed to be told that I was ok.

Stick with it - hope it gets better for you.

Nicola

I think the worst thing about it all are the avoidance habbits we all have - best advice is what smudga gave...just get on with it and dont let it take over your life....wish someone would have given me the same advice

x Shell

Shell

best advice is what smudga gave...just get on with it and dont let it take over your life....

Exactly- don't I know it! But easier said than done. My anxiety takes over a simple task like queuing up for stamps- I know I shouldn't be so silly- but I cant shake it of.
    Because I think and analyse everything i do- I can't be so happy go lucky. I'd give £1 m to be like that.

the best advise is what smudge gave,take one step at a time,you are in control but i also know that is not easy,don t rush ,one day at a time take it easy and good luck

Well just thought I'd let you all know that I have had another PA yesterday, Sunday, I have a severe food allergy to nuts and some fruits and I have to carry an epipen (injection of adrenalin) around with me just in case! Anyway I felt a bit strange eating my fetta cheese salad and started to think that I had eating something that was gonna start of my allergy reaction, so I was trying to be calm I went upstairs started to feel faint couldn't breath felt really tingly all over, I tried to shout to my boyfriend but of course he couldn't hear me, then I came back downstairs and got my injection out and gave it to him to administer! WELL he completely messed it up the liquid came spurting out of the injection all over the settee - so now I panic more !! We both got into the car to go to hospital (coz I'm still thinking I am having an allergic reaction!) So after about 5 mins in the car I realise that Im not having an allergic reaction as I am getting no other symptoms for this, but have in fact just had my second PA! I felt like a fool..... and am really upset about it.,.. I have booked an appointment at the doctors so do you think I should just suggest to get counselling or to get some sort of medication!??

SD

Sorry I forgot to add that I had been drinking the night before and had, had a few too many, would this be anything to do with why I got this PA?

SD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information