Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of the dentist

Well Done for going through with it

Meg

Hi

i know exactly how you feel. Ive put of going to the entist for so long because i get so anxious that now i need 5 fillings and some root canal work done... :( Dont think its helped that whenever i feel sick i start eating mints for the distraction and to help sooth the nausea! so now im paying for it. The intial appointment was ok, but last wednesday i had my 1st appoinment for the work to be done.. was a help of a state before i went but i made myself go.. (with my mum dragging me through the door!)
    My dentist is a really nice man, which helps.. he was really understanding. Think that helps if your not good at the dentist to find a dentist that understands.. he was talking me through everything as he did it and was telling me how long left we had til it was over, and the dental nurse held my hand!! was a bit terrifying to start with, but once i sat in the chair and got on with it.. it really wasnt as bad as id set myself up for. Went in for the worst bit 1st. so now next week iv just got some easy bits to do.. then the root canal last.
    When he had finished i was relaxed and felt fine. Still got 4 more consecutive wednesdays to go! but now i know i relaxed for that one, hopefully itl be ok.
    Just remember that your fear is far stronger than actually doing it will ever be, take a deep breathe and beleive in yourself and youl manage just fine, if i can do it...i think any1 can!

Best of Luck

N xxx

I must admit though bubbs, I do feel a bit of a lemon 43 and scared of the dentist, plus i'd got me mom to take me!!

still we cant all be bravehearts eh!!

good luck your'e braver than I

luv trace xx

hi all,
    i had a big fear of dentists too. But after two of my teeth got so bad- I was begining to look like shane macgowan- I went. The first appointment was the worst and it wasn't helped by the fact the dentist said afterwards (he's Polish with a strong accent) 'We'll put you to sleep and do them all'. I thought he meant he was going to take them all out! I'm only 31! Anyway after much panic (and me explaining that I could not under any circumstances be put to sleep) he told me I had 2 root canals and 5 fillings to do. This was a few months ago and I've only got 2 fillings to go now. Every appointmnet goes better than the last. Unfortunately because I'm having so much work my mouth and jaw feel a bit sore which to my mind means only one thing- Cancer! So I cure one fear only to make another worse! Ah well...
    night night
    xx

[Wow!] I feel the same way too!
    I have not gone to my Dentist for nearly 4 years.
    Any advice on how to get me to go?
    FEEL_SORRY_FOR_ME [Ugh]

I need lots of moral support!

Try this ....

Dental Phobia

Nicola

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information