Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap party food ideas please

cheap party food ideas please

its my sons 21st in a few weeks and im holding a suprise party for him at my house, as i cant really go out to do much else , i need some food ideas please thats cheap and cheerful as im skint like most atm
    thanks amanda

Re: cheap party food ideas please

Hi Amanda

Iceland does really cheap platters - I used these for my son's 16 party and they went down a treat - they quite often have offers on.

Alternatively my friend is having a christening soon and we are all chipping in and doing a bit of food to take to keep costs down.

Otherwise look out in Tesco, Iceland etc for buy 1 get one free and store them ready.

Mini sausage rolls and vol au vonts are quite cheap. You can put egg or tuna in the vol au vonts that are not too pricy. Crudities and dips are also quite cheap and look bulky - its amazing how many sticks a carrot and cucumber will cut up into.

Hope that helps a bit

Allye

I love doing party food & always find warm breads (garlic or cheesy bread) always go down a storm, they arent too expensive (I always get garlic baguettes from freezer department in shops, cheaper than in the chilled foods section)

Also italian bread sticks & nacho's (supermarket own brands are always fine) go down a treat, 1 lot of dips out on the table can be used for both to liven them up - again quite kind on the pocket

Sausage rolls, quiches, pizza slices etc always popular (I just buy cheap Cheese & Tomato pizza's then liven them up with a bit of ham, onion or whatever you have in the fridge before popping them in the oven - they taste just as good as the fancy ones).

I have also used those platters mentioned in the last post before & they have always been popular.

I want a buffet now

thank you both im hungry now , great ideas you have given me , ill def be using them , im absolutly rubbish at things like buffets, so thank you for the ideas

amandax

Ohhhhhhh I've got my party catering head on now.

Alot of supermarkets do tubs with sweet stuff in, mini donuts, chocolate brownie bites, mini cup cakes etc, you usually get about 20 or so pieces in a tub, they are quite reasonable price wise & always get a good reception, when laid out on a platter they look plentiful. Also mini choloclate eclairs or similar from the frozen section always nice.

ohhhh, I DEFINITELY want a buffet now

oh yummy lots of chocolate and sweet stuff enough i cant take anymore im hungry now lol

You could also make different pasta bowls for people to choose from. Buy dried pasta it's dead cheap.

You could make one mixed with Pesto and Pinenuts, one mixed with Tuna, sweetcorn and Mayo, one with Tomato and Cheese.

Different bowls of olives, Ciabatta bread and Oil.

Bowls of humous and breadsticks.

Make up different plates of sandwiches and a mixed bowl salad.

Chinese and Thai food also usually go down well, mixed platters, spareribs, pancake rolls etc.

I find, when I am a bit low on funds, that my money buys so much more in a market than in a supermarket... Get some fresh veg for peanuts. Make some nice pasta dishes. Get some cheap stuff from (nasty) iceland and you will be sorted.

And bake a cake! Baking a cake is so cheap and it is so much more impressive than buying one. There are plenty of easy recipes and it will keep you busy and hopefully anxiety free!

Hugs

Ricard

"A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships."

French sticks
    pate
    big bowl of home made chilli con carne -i add tin baked beans as well as chilli beans. Serve with tortilla chips, rice, French bread and wraps. Serve also with sour cream dip and grated strong cheddar
    you can do a veggie version also
    Last edited by reallyfedup; 07-04-09 at 17:25. Reason: added

a big bowl of fries goes down well too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information