Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Constant panic assaults

hi nick,

www.bachcentre.com

just a few drops,in a small bottle of mineral water,can carry it about with you,and sip all day,keep it by your bed,and if you wake up feeling anxious,just take a few sips..good luck..bryan.

Hiya Rick,

WELCOME to our family. I am reading your posts and feeling just awful for you. I know this is hard, but like everyone else has posted you are not alone and you have beaten it before and you DEFINITELY will this time.The Bach Rescue everyone is speaking of is a great alternative to the RX meds. It is just a subtle calming feeling. I believe you can go to www.VITAMINSHOPPE.COM to get some information on it and also order it online. I`m not sure if you all have THE VITAMIN SHOPPE there in West Virginia, but if so you could just pop in there and pick it up. I`m in Germantown MD., actually only 45 minutes or so from Charlestown West Virginia. I believe also you can log onto BACHRESCUE.com and get some information on it. I hope this helps. Just keep those positive thoughts flowing, and read your books and do your breathing exercises. This to shall pass. If you ever need a kind word or just someone to vent your feelings to or just wanna share anything pop on here someone is always on here who can see you through a bad experience. We all care about one another on here, we know what it is to deal with this terrible disorder. Yet I know TOGETHER we will all beat this, and what wonderful peaceful lives we`ll live ey? Hope your tummy is feeling much better today. It seems to me that the tummy upset comes along with the anxiety/panic. I too have been a sufferer from the age of 15 that I can remember off and on, and just recently has reared its ugly head again. It is horrific. Like everyone else mentioned I think this time of year even "NORMAL" people experience an abundance of stress so we are not to beat ourselves up over it. Just obviously our bodies react a bit more intense to stress than others might, but hey that is who we are. Luckily for us we here have each other, and we are never alone. Take care Rick, keep posting to let us know how you are getting along. Let me know if you find the Bach Rescue.

Diana xoxoxo

Hiya Rick,

Welcome !! No post here is too long or inappropriate if its anxiety or panic related ...

You post all you like and in any emotional state that you find yourself in. We're all here to support you through this as you will be doing to others in a few short weeks.

Here are some pointers of what you could do to help yourself today .

There are several things that you can do to help yourself with these although they are not ‘cures’ in the traditional way as taking an antibiotic and the infection goes away completely.

Medication can help to give you a break from the worst part of panic but unless something else changes within you - when you come off the medication the issues remain and often the panic reoccurs. Beteblockers are very helpful to reduce the symptoms and are not mood altering drugs and are not sedatives - they are used in anxiety to redice the racing heart beat and associated spiralling physical symptoms. NOT for asthmatics though.

Other avenues that do help include:

Breathing - Learn to breathe from your diaphragm, your tummy should rise and fall with your breath as well as your chest. Ensure your out breath is longer than the in one. A count of 4 in – 6 out is great. Use this as soon as you feel panic rising. Alternatively, hold your breath for a few seconds between breaths.

Distraction- As soon as you feel the anxiety soaring and you get afraid – do something different. Change your environment, talk to someone, do something, distract yourself. It’s often enough to dissipate the panic .

Comfort yourself – be totally positive with yourself but do allow yourself to go with it. Keep giving yourself positive messages that this will pass naturally and cannot harm you- breath and distract.

Regular exercise – uses the adrenaline/ noradrenaline and the cortisol that are secreted when panic sets in and enhances endorphine production

Tai’ chi or Yoga – promotes complete relaxation as well as stretching. This has a cumulative effect so try it regularly. The meditation part also helps learn to still the mind and cumulatively is a very effective exercise to learn to use during panic.

Relaxation tapes are extremely useful . Find one you like and stick to it. Play it every day whether you are stressed or not and soon whenever you feel anxious just putting it on will relieve that tension .

Massage- releases the tension that builds up in your tissues. Often with anxiety we store it in major muscle groups apart from the usual chronic shoulders and neck so leg muscles etc can go into spasm. Reaction from the guts is also common, you may find you get wild disturbances.

When you are starting to feel anxious - Bach rescue remedy will take the edge off.. These are flower essences, are completely safe and have no sideeffects. A couple of squirts in a bottle of water and sip liberally all day. Additionally, I used Aspen for fear, Cherry plum for terror and Rock rose for control.

Nutritional supplements – having panic and anxiety is extremely draining on your body resources. A strong 50-100 mg Vit B complex supplement is highly recommended as is extra calcium and magnesium , take this one at night . www.quest.co.uk is a reputable source.

Unless you’re intolerant , warm milk at night contains tryptosan which promotes sleep and relaxation.

Aromatherapy- lavender, clary sage, vetiver oil baths.

If you are really shaky passiflora /lemon balm/ valerian root/ hops tinctures for instant help or tablets regularly.
    St Johns Wort can also help but doesn’t kick in for 3 weeks or so
    Kava Kava is brilliant for anxiety but is currently withdrawn from the EU whilst investigations go on into possible liver sideeffects complicated by anxiety people often taking to alcohol for relief…
    For constant insomnia melatonin is excellent. It’s not available in the UK but widely available in the US where its main use is for jetlag

With all of the herbs above if you are on any other medications at all then you must check it out carefully and ask for professional advic

Why I don't drink anymore

(by Tom Edwards, no idea who he is/was ) that summarises the effects neatly :

I changed because I have the sickness of alcoholism, alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people.

You should have seen me.

I drank for happiness and became unhappy.
    I drank for joy and became miserable.
    I drank to become outgoing and became self-centred.
    I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely.
    I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious.
    I drank for friendship and made enemies.
    I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self-pity.
    I drank for strength and felt weak.
    I drank for masculinity and it sapped my potency.
    I drank medicinally and became sick.
    I drank because I thought my job called for it and lost my job.
    I drank to stimulate and blacked out.
    I drank to make conversation and got to where I couldn't talk at all.
    I drank to forget and became haunted.
    I drank for freedom and became a slave.
    I drank for power and became powerless.
    I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply.
    I drank to cope with life, and invited death.

Keep it under control - please

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

You guys are great.

I can't believe the kindness and care I have recieved since posting here. Thank you again. As far as the vodka, I was so desperate to stop these attacks, I was willing to resort to anything. The bottle is to remain unused by me, except, perhaps, as snakebite medicine (inside West Virginia hillbilly joke - although I really DID get snakebit once, years ago (Copperhead). My foot passed through the most amazing series of colors...)

Alcohol abuse does run in my family. I saw what it did to my uncles and half brothers, hence my early in life decision to remain alcohol free. I guess buying the vodka just demonstrates the desperation we feel when under this assault of panic. I appreciate the gentle yet stern warnings I have recieved, and, rest assured, they are taken to heart. Today has been fairly good. The sun is out, christmas is over (BTW, could somebody explain by email or whatever, what IS boxing day? I've always been curious...).

I was reminded, also, that my mother passed away ten years ago, Dec 20th. Perhaps that helped trigger soem deep, unresolved angst.

Meg, as I have scanned thru the different areas of the board, I see you (and others) taking enormous amounts of time to help total strangers. You are all a bunch of saints.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, for it seems that these attacks happen worst at night, so... We'll see what happens!

Everyone have a great day or evening, or night, wherever you are.

Rick

My 12 Year old has told me only this morning that Boxing Day was when the Servants (when people had them) got their presents?

Keep Smiling

Nikki

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

..and in order not to embarrass anyone,as different ranks and favourites got different amounts, they all got them in similar boxes ...

Rick - so I hope you've identified a way or two to help yourself in the mean time.

I didn't go through all this hell myself to then sit back and watch everyone have to figure it out for themsleves and be totally selfish and I'm all right Jack about it.

I am lucky , I am a trained nurse and one of my roles is teaching . It seems to go together.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Well, I'll be darned...

Boxing day is about BOXES!!! That's pretty cool. Naturally, over here in West Virgina, all we (me and the kids I grew up with, when we first heard of Boxing day) could imagine, was a bunch of guys slugging it out after christmas, for whatever reason... That never did make much sense. Now, not only have I recieved wonderful kindness, counseling, and friendship -

I have learned a cultural lesson!!!

You guys are great. I owe you all. When I whip these attacks again, you all have an open invitation to come to WV and I'll take you blackberry pickin, four wheelin, and watching the sun set behind the mountains from an abandoned mine road atop another mountain while we all sit and sip root beer. (It's actually very beautiful).

Thanks again!
    Rick

Just a note for those who have so kindly been following my story...

I had a good day today, then this evening, went to Wal Mart to pick up some things. Drove around a bit, then stopped to buy a burger to take home to the wife. The assaults began coming again, for some reason. Using deep breathing, random thoughts, and the other tips you all have given me, so far none of the assaults have turned into full blown attacks, though the night is still young.

I wonder why I have this trouble predominately at night... I've always been a night person, I even work evening shift by choice, though I have seniority to work days. BTW, my plant is shut down for the two week holiday period, and thus perhaps I have too much free time?

Nah... Until this past week, as I stated previously, these attacks have lain dormant for years. Why now?? Who knows.

Just keep your fingers crossed for me as I am for you.

God bless,

Rick

~ You are your own safe person and place. ~

I love this, Meg. Thank you so much.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information