Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Constant panic assaults

HI all...

Just woke up, so I was able to sleep some... Yesterday evening was a struggle, because the assaults kept trying to come. Kncoked most of them down, but by 10:30pm I was EXHAUSTED! Then, got an email from my sis with whom I'm a little estranged, HAD to anwer that one, so up until 1:30 am. (Long email...)

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't breathe - not panic attack wise, but genuinely could barely breathe, my chest is on fire... We've had a terrible flu epidemic here, ranout of vaccinations, and guess who missed out on a shot??? I'm off to the local "Doc in a Box" at 9 to stand in line and get some flu meds. (I'm not sure if you all in the UK have the equivilent, but what we call doc in a box over here is like a private, open door clinic for everything from hangnails to heart attacks, first come, first serve, follow up with your owm MD later - and you'd better have some good med insurance, 'cause they ain't cheap!!}

Question - If I'vebeen fighting this bug for a week unknowingly, does anyone think, perhaps, that this is what has triggered these attacks that have lain dormant for so long? Any ideas? That would certain ly explain teh tummy roils and general feeling of malaise(?) - Not sure what malaise means, but it sounds good...

Anyway good luck to all, and if you run into me today - avoid me like the plague. I'm probably contagious!

I love you all!!

Rick

Dear Rick,

Often when people get ill with a virus or something, the initial symptoms such as hot flushes, shivering, faster heart rate remind the person of how they felt when they did have panic, they dwell on these for a little while, that then turns to concern, then worry and before long they're virtually telling their body to react.

The only panic attack I had for a long time with no panics was after climbing Mount Vesuvius in a storm , coming down soaked through - then sitting in a train very chilled and starting to shake . I then noticed you couldn't move out of the train carriage into another one and there was no loo on board. One thought led to another and bang - off I went on one. At my worst I was big on shaking and I know I made the association and thats what did it.

malaise = lethargy

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thanks, Meg..

You're great. Well, I'm off to the medical cattle call... We'll keep our fingers crossed. May be able to whip it yet! - Plus, this may ring a bell with someone else, and may give them an idea, or at least hope that it could be something relatively simple. I hope it turns out that way, at least. I'll keep y'all posted.

God bless you all, and stay away from the Flu Bug - it's a real meanie!!!

Rick

Hiya Rick,

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better today except for the possible flu.I too experience night panic, so I know what you are going through. It`s good though that you are able to put your finger on some of the reasons why the anxiety may have approached you at this particular time. Just keep positive thoughts flowing and remember that there are reasons you are feeling this way right now, and most of all remember you have us here, you are not alone!!!!! Keep those posts coming. Let us know how you are progressing. I hope you are able to get some meds for the flu or virus you have picked up. That should make a difference in the way you are feeling too. I know all the news about the flu this year is frightening. It has killed so many. I fortunately got my flu shot this year, my doc always catches me at the beginning of the season. I laughed when I read your idea on "BOXING DAY" I too thought it was something to do with the "SPORT" of boxing. I guess we learn something everyday. LOL....

Take care Rick,

Diana xoxoxo

hi Rick,

I've only been having panic attacks for the last month but since I've been on meds and reading more and more about panic attacks I've noticed that 98% of my panic symptoms come up at night too! One way that i've been dealing with this is through reading self-help books. The one I'm currently reading is called Anxiety for Dummies. It's a great read after having a panic attack. Definately reminds me that I'm not alone with this and also has some suggestions on how to deal with panic attacks without meds.

Chris

Hi, all

Well, went to the clinic, (It was packed... the whole world is sick, i think.) The doc spent his required three minutes with me, prescribed something called Levaquin for the flu bug. I hven't taken any yet, I'll probably research it until I scare myself out of taking it!

Seriously, I Know nothing about it, so I don't know if it'll make things better or worse. (Panic wise)

I told him about the Panic attacks, so he gave me a 20 pill dose of something called clonazepam. Is it worth taking, or am I opening a can of worms, here. The panic was gone this morning, it felt great -
    unfortunately, the rest of me felt pretty doggone lousy.

Interesting note, though - when I came home, the panic tried to start again. Could I be afraid of my own home? Since the attacks usually happen at night, when I'm here, is there a connection? I wonder.

Well, last night just about wore me out trying to control these things, but for the most part I (Along with the kind mesages from you all) kept them at bay. If they whomp up on me tonite, don't know If i have the energy to fight them again, though I'll sure try. (The other alternative is no fun at all!!!)

Thaks for the posts and encouragement, and, for those of you that are suffering even as i write - keep your chin up. We can whip this!! All of you are in my thoughts.

Rick

Hiya Rick

I sometimes panic at home when ive been out. Maybe its because when you are out you spend so much energy fending off the panic that when you get home you relax and off it goes. Thats my theory anyway...who knows?
    By the way, I love your posts, you may be having panic but you havent lost you sense of humour... keep it up mate!!!

love Sarah
    xx

Rick,

Do go easy on the clonazepam. Emergencies only . Effective but addictive. A newer variant in the valium family.

I agree with Sarahs theory on panic infiltrating when you think you're home and dry and this is why night time is common..

What are you finding so exhausting about fighting the panics . What methods are you using ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi guys

God, its back...

Constant surges of panic attacks, and my tummy is so sick, I can barely breathe. This morning started out so wonderful, even though i was sick with the flu. Not even a twinge of panic, like the attacks had happened to someome else, a long time ago. Laid down to rest, and man, here they came. My poor wife has the flu, she's at work. How can I burden her with this???

Say a prayer or burn a candle for me, friends... I'm having a rough time.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to take a drive. (probably catch Pneumonia, - or as a special little girl used to say to me, a long time ago... I can't go out there!! I'll get ammonia!) I'd trade this fo pneumonia any day - You all know what I mean!!! God love you all, thanks for reading and listening.

Later...

Rick

Hi Rick,

Try and stay calm and focused...dont let it get to you. Just think of how you have felt like this before and managed to cope so well...you can do it again. I too have felt like this over the last few days as you no but I too coped and so can you.

Just sit down and quiet the mind by listening to some calming music and take nice slow breaths. Think positive thoughts and believe me you will begin to relax.

The fact that your feeling under the weather at the moment will not be helping but that too will pass...take care of yourself...just relax the mind.

Keep us posted on how youre feeling. We are all here to help.

Take care

sadie

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information