Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Constant panic assaults

Hi Rick
    Just to say that I've experienced anxiousness because of other symptoms. The flu can make you short of breath and dizzy, two all-time-classic panic stirrers for me. Once I realise that I have a physical underlying problem, the anxiety drops away.
    I'm amazed how quickly your doctor recommended drugs when you told him about the panic. It reminded me of the novel Brave New World, where everybody took Soma (a happy pill) in order to keep them happy, content and untroubled. Except, of course, they weren't! I'd be loathe to criticise anyone who turns to the medicine cabinet to get them through the night, but I just can't see any long-term solution in drugs.
    As for your home causing the panic, well, I'd hesitate to put that blame there! I had a really bad panic attack once when I was left at home with my new baby son. What if I passed out? What if I passed out at the top of the stairs with him in my arms? What if I suddenly just ran out into the street and fled, leaving him alone and unattended? What if I couldn't cope? But it wasn't the house, my son or my parental responsibilities that were causing the panic. It was me. (It still is!) These days, thankfully, I can control it (myself) better and I hope that you'll find your way soon too.

Jim

Rick

Sing / dance , get a funny TV show, breathe correctly, get out old photos of areally great holiday time and smile, ring a friend and chat about nothing. Distract yourself. Then some exercise followed by a relaxation tape.

Have a fizzy drink, eat something as soon as you can afterwards.

The when it's over sit and write out exactly what happened , where you were, what you'd eaten and drunk today, what you were thinking about/dwelling on , how you felt, what order it all happened in etc

This will pass.

Lots of beautiful and funny thoughts.

Meg

Meg,

your post dropped in just as I was posting my panic note...

Thanks for the warning and caution. The last thing i need is to be a stoner (Do they call dope heads that in the UK? - Usually meant for pot heads around here)

Seriously, though - will they put a hold on the attacks, or make them worse. (I'll be so glad when my appointment with the counselor gets here in a few days... I'm so confused - 'course, I was that way before the attacks started. Normal state of mind.)

Again, seriously - reading the med related posts makes me think that anything I take will make anxiety worse before making it better. If this cloniastuff - It's in the loo (see, I'm even learning British!!!) and I can't remember how to spell it - will quell the attacks, that would be great - just some rest would be so nice, which again, makes me wonder if these attacks started with the flu bug. (Do I seem to be going round in circles here??)

Anyway, took a deep breath, quit twinging at least for the moment, and am heading out.

Thanks, all

I appreciate you all so much, especially you Meg, for putting up with my sometimes wayward ramblings to give me sound and needed advice.

Rick

Hiya Rick,

It is a tranquilizer so will calm you down and is very effective but is addictive so only short term or in emergencies.

In my experience with US Docs - take half what they prescribe and see how you go.. if you feel very dopey/spacey then you're taking too much, if it doesn't help at all take the full dose next time .

They will not make panic worse , that's the Anti depressant SSRI family that is used also for anxiety and panic that take a while to settle down as it changes the chemical balance in the brain.

Take care Rick.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Rick,

Diana here, I do hope you are feeling better soon. I know this is hard , but hopefully when the flu lifts things will be easier to control. Just try your breathing exercises and distraction skills they do work. Keep us posted Rick. Take good care friend.

Diana xoxoxo

I'm back...

Thanks for the prayers and crossed fingers and whatevers, guys. The little monster has crept back to wherever it has been hiding, so we're doing ok now.

I don't know what happened this afternoon - maybe I felt so good this morning, I felt it was over and wasn't prepared for it when it snuck back up behind me and knocked my (literally)holy socks off.

It means so much to me to have a place to come and express my unfathomable fears when these things hit, and to have the encouragement of fellow travellers in this strange little world of ours, who understand as only those who have been there and still are can.

I do apoligize for making such a show over such a relatively small episode, frighteneing though it was, when I think of all my friends (you all)out there who have this thing constantly.

I feel like a big old hairy ex coal mining WEINER!!! (Call someone around here a weiner, and you'll probably get invited out into the parking lot for a little Hillbilly Boxing day!)

So, a little embarassed, but yet grateful man am I. I also know that the night is still young, but my guard is up, so hopefully things will be a little quieter tonite. If not, I'm sure y'all will be hearing from little ol panic stricken weiner me!!

I love you all

Rick

Heya Rick,

LOL.... You are soooo funny. You have no reason to apologize, that`s what friends are for, and you Rick are a friend indeed. We love you too, and hope and pray that tonight and every night to follow will get progressively better for you and all of our fellow sufferers. Do take care dear, we look fo,rward to hearing from you again and again and again Well you get the idea. LOL.... GOOD NIGHT RICK.

Diana xxxx

Hiya Rick,

Glad it's passed.

Acceptance of 'this is how you are right now' may be something to ponder on.

Panic is not a failing or anything to be embarassed or guilty about any more than getting a cold. (More home made unhelpful emotions).

It 'is just ' and your aim is to have it 'was just ' which you're working very hard towards. Give yourself some credit please.

Come on - what are you doing in your game of chase the monster...

Incidentally , very few panic episodes just disappear after a few days - the usual pattern is lessening of severity - not necessarily frequency to start with - until they fade away.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi guys...

A short one to let you know I'm alive (barely)...

The Flu bug is REALLY whomping on me. My fever got so bad last night, I was shaking the bed,I was shivering so hard. Feel pretty rough this morning. The boogie man has peeped around the corner a few times to see if he can sneak in. Boy I sure hope not. I didn't have to take the clonistuff last night (all was well, thank heavens), But if the attacks show up today, I might have to try them out... Just too whipped to fight real hard, right now. (Sigh...)

Didn't take the antibiotic, either. Chicken that it might trigger an attack, or something. Guess I'd rather be nigh on to death's door than have an attack. (ANYONE out there understand THAT feeling??? Hmm, I thought so!)

Well, all take care, I'll try to check In, see whats going on, and if the Boogie man shows up, no doubt, y'all will hear from ol' weiner man!!!

Love You all

Rick

Hiya Rick,

We all know how you are feeling. You are doing so well though, keep up the great work. I hope this flu bug passses on pretty quick for you. You should really try taking your antibiotic, though so you can beat the flu bug and just concentrate on beating these uninvited guests (PANIC ATTACKS)!!! We are all thinking of you. Do take care, get your rest, get your fluids you know the drill, and as soon as you can do pop on to let us know how you are getting on with your meds and so forth. Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care dear friend,

Love Diana xoxoxo

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information