Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA's taking the kids to school

PA's taking the kids to school

Does anyone get PA's taking the kids to school? How do you cope with them?

I have 3 kids, 2 of which I still have to take and pick up from school. I had actually got over this but due to stress piling PA's came back doing this about 8 months ago. The school is only a 10 minute walk and taking them in the morning is OK but it is the picking them up after school has finished. One comes out 5 minutes later than the other and this 5 minutes can be shear hell. My PA's are my stomach churning and this gives me an upset stomach, so I fear that I will get an upset stomach whist out. What do you do to help with the school run?

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

Hi Apricot,

I dont have kids yet, but I do think i understand PA now. What is it that goes through your mind whilst your taking the kids to school and when your picking them up..I bet there is something your thinking everyday that has become a habit and which kick starts the churning stomach etc..Try and focus on what it is it could something really silly but which seems to start the fear cycle starting. I now try and do this as there are certain thoughts and behaviours which spark of my anxiety etc..

Hope this might help you

sadie

Hiya Apricot,

I too have children (4) to be exact. LOL.... I know what you mean, I feel extra anxious when my children are returning home from school. I start eating like a mad dog. However (3) of my children are in High School, and (1)in Middle School, ages 18,16,15, and 13. I`m not sure exactlty what the connection is either. I wish I did, I think though before it is time to pick your children up you should take time for yourself to calm down. Listen to a relaxation tape, stay away from the caffeinated drinks tea, coffee etc. Do your breathing exercises whilst listening to your tape and just get your anxiety level down before you pick them up, and that should take the edge off. If needed also include the Bach Rescue to take the edge off whilst figuring everything out. You only need a few drops in some water and sip all day. This will relax you. I know it is a terrible feeling , but just remember you are not alone. We are all here for you too. Take care dear, let us know how you are doing. Keep posting.

Diana xoxoxo

Apricot

Perhaps you had a bad panic attack or bout of anxiety one day when picking them up so now you associate this with that bad time.

You need to try and break the habit and tell yourself that nothing will happen and you will be fine.

Take a magazine to read whilst you are waiting - anything just to take your mind off it. You may find that if you can do this trip just once without anxiety you will break the pattern and in time the panic will lessen

Good luck

Nicola

Can you fit in a good, quick relaxation session before you pick the kids up? Focus on your breathing, being calm and thinking positively about handling the situation? It's interesting that you don't get the anxiety in the mornings. I'm more vulnerable to panic when I'm mentally tired and I guess if you're worrying about picking the kids up from 9am to 3pm, then you'll be mentally washed out when that time comes! Relaxation may give you the refresher you need.

Jim

perhaps,you can try some distraction techniques.

1/. as your leaving the house,pop an extra strong mint in your mouth.
    2/. look at peoples front gardens,mark them 1 to 10,on tidyness,next day,mark them on flower arranging,etc ,etc.
    3/. this one,belongs to emily...do a mental A-Z of animals..A= antelope..N=...?
    4/. make up your own distractions..look at car number plates..M526 MWP now use it to make something up,for instance..mother of 5,age26 is a mucky wee pup.

in other words apricot,anything to distract your thought processes will help...best wishes..bryan.

Bryan

I love your car number plate thing - I use that one too to help me with driving.

Nicola

I have PA and I go to school. its hard when your trapped there for 6 1/2 hours

Jade

ps does anyone have any advise on what to do

Hiya Jade,

I think the distraction technique is always best, but of course whilst your in class it may be hard to zone out on distraction techniques and listen to what the teachers are saying. Could you possibly excuse yourself from class and get a little time to yourself to distract? I`m sure others will have more logical ideas keep looking for suggestions here. In the mean time good luck. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Thanks for all your replies. I have got over this before but as I said because of the build of stress I had, 'IT' is back. I know what my fear is...that I will have an upset stomach whilst waiting for the kids to come out from school...which will be embarassing, humiliating, etc. This has never happen but this is my fear. This is why I was fully agrophobic some years ago, I wouldn't even go out into my back garden!

Thanks again all. Kids are back Monday! But I know I have to get over this again, once and for all.

Apricot

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information