Thread: side effects after 9 weeks???

side effects after 9 weeks???

have been reading several posts and see that most people seemt o have some kind of negative reaction to citalopram for a week or two and then things get better. I have been on them now for 9 weeks and am still having side effects. is this normal? has anyone lese had the same thing?

Started on 10mg then up it to 20 mg after 10 days. had terrible side effects. constant feeling of being on edge (worse than without the pills), and the feeling that a panic attack was just bubbling under the surface. perservered and upped the dosage on the docs request to 20mg. three days after that i thought i was going to die. it wasnt a panic attack like i was accustomed to. suddenly felt dizzy and wanted to vomit. feeling of dread that one gets used to with an attack. muscle heaviness and meantasl fogginess. burning sensation in stomach. it gets to the point where i cant reason yet i know im being unreasonable!!?? my wife took me to ER and they didnt realy know what was up and eventually sent me home and told me to continue taking pills.

Several weeks later i was back at the doctor for a new script and he has told me to up the dosage firstly to 30mg then up to 40mg anfter 10 days. once again after increasing it to 30mg i had the same attack as before. the side effects are terrible. im at the point now where i think that maybe hes got me on the wrong stuff?? do i keep going or chuck them out!!??

i still feel like i have mental fogginess most days and i become very irritable for no good reason. its as if i am ok one minute and then not so good the next. it can 'yoyo' like that all day some times. is any one else in the same boat and more importantly how are you coping with it!!?? does anyone have the same side effects on these pills??

Re: side effects after 9 weeks???

Hi

You can't tolerate the dosage on the medication - also the medication doesn't suit you. See gp again and don't stand for any nonsense lol.

If a patient keeps complaining about the side effects of a medication that many weeks into treatment then it's obvious the medication doesn't suit.

Take care.

Sounds like Citalopram isn't for you. I was on them for 10 weeks and was getting all the awful side effects still (anixety worse, tiredness, feeling sick etc). The Dr said I should have noticed an effect by 4 weeks but nothing ever happened so she suggested I come off them as they weren't the right ones for me. I was 20mg a day then as I was withdrawing 10mg for 2 weeks.

Hi
    i was on them for nearly a week but had to come off them as they caused more anxiety. I have now been on seroxat for 4 weeks which have helped, every day gets better with them however I could not sleep the first couple of weeks so I went back to my GP who told me to up my dose to 20mg (was on 10mg). I started to take 20mg but they freaked me out so I went back down to 10mg which are much better and I am sleeping better. I am going back to my GP in a few weeks so I am going to tell her about the dosage. Hope this help.

Sharon

Hi Frosty
    This is what I am now experiencing. I just wrote an post about it earlier

Thread Information