View Poll Results: What's do you do for Panic Attacks & Agoraphobia?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • I take Medication or Herbal Remidies

18 7.56%
  • I practice Yoga & Meditation

3 1.26%
  • I try to do Deep Breathing and calm down

32 13.45%
  • I listen to Relaxation Cds or hypnotherapy

7 2.94%
  • I go running or do some form of Excercise

5 2.10%
  • I Clean the house to get my mind of it

8 3.36%
  • I don't have to deal with it, i don't put myself in those situations

7 2.94%
  • I try to think positive and put it to the back of my mind

22 9.24%
  • I go to the loo to get some composure

8 3.36%
  • I endure it, there is nothing i feel i can do to stop it :(

33 13.87%
  • I listen Music & try Dancing

1 0.42%
  • I talk to someone about it

15 6.30%
  • I try to get out of the situation as quickly as possible

44 18.49%
  • All of the above ( not at the same time obviously )

30 12.61%
  • Other ( please post what you do on the forum , ty )

5 2.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's do you do for Panic Attacks & Agoraphobia?

What's do you do for Panic Attacks & Agoraphobia?

What do you do when you get panic attacks or feel agoraphobic? Please let me know what you do personally, how do you deal with it when it happens to you or what measures do you take to tackle this problem and how well does it work, i have outlined some ideas of things you might do when you are in this situation? Some constuctive some not. Please be honest about what you really do. Thankyou.

Personally i try to avoid my panic wherever possible, and when this is difficult i do the majority of these things to take my mind of it. My boyfreind really helps me by walking up and down my legs and feet. It's an accupunture technique, very relaxing and effective, but make sure you get someone who's trained in it to show you how it works or it can be dangerous. There are several technques for reducing anxiety, one being to press on the point between your thumb and forefinger, you know when your at the point because it will hurt, but it can also work miricles ) Good Luck p.s i suggest you read an accupressure book, they are only about £5 from the local book store!!

I guess the way I usually handle an attack is to say to myself that it will pass and I won't die from it. It usually helps to remember that I've felt that way before and I've made it through so I can do it again. I also try to stay busy if the panic gets too bad (it takes my mind off it).

I try to think positive, even though it doesn't always work

deep breathing and frsh air help me , also a very understanding boyfriend helps me

For the longest time, I felt unable to do anything about Agorophobia. The mere thought of going to the store was too much for me! But I am taking small steps, and that is what works 4 me. Say, if u want to go to a restaurant, pick a time when it won't be as crowded. If you go to the grocery store, start w/ a small one and work ur way up, but only if u feel like it! If u find urself in a large crowd, and it isn't possible to leave, just try to get through it, and focus on how peaceful it will be when u get away from the crowd! Hope this helps!

Paul

i usually have 1 at night when im trying to relax,i cant switch off.my husband is good at calming me down but if hes not there ill ring a friend up and try and take my mind off it
    jo xx

j waring

i really would like to know wot people do to get through a panic attack ?
    and how do your partners help you through it ?
    as im suffering really bad and dont know how to cope and my partner dont know wot to do to help wich upsets me !!!

When I get panic attacks (and I know this isn't terribly popular, since it is seen as better to get through them without meds), but when I am albe I take a xanax, put a comedy DVD on and read a book.

I have a question for Joanne, or anybody who may have advice, following on from what Nicki said, just wondering what your husband does to help you get through it? My partner is gets really frustrated which comes out as anger, cos he just can't understand (he does try). Luckily my parents are really understanding, but I don't want to have to run to mum and dad for the rest of my life!

"This too, shall pass"

I usually get panicky when I have to go outside of my home. I get a lot of what ifs. So I go through my what ifs and try to assure myself that their is a small likely hood of them happing. For example I am terrified of having an accident in my car and been trapped. I have to go to the dentist this afternoon and worry that I might have a panic attack in the chair. I did, once, get very near a panic attack but I told the dentist what was happening to me and he stopped treatment until i felt okay. I also if needed take an ativan. However, I have improved during the last few months as then I could not go out by myself and always took my ex partner with me to the dentist.

Sheena

SHEENA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information