Thread: Intense feelings of claustrophobia and loss of control

Intense feelings of claustrophobia and loss of control

Can i ask people what sort of symptoms and thoughts they have when they have a panic attack?

I'm pretty much back on the mend now, but had probably my first real panic attack some weeks back. It was triggered by claustrophobia. I had none of the chest pain or breathing difficulties that most people have.. I had no fear that i was about to have a heart attack or that i was dying..

I had the most overwhelming feeling of terror and claustrophobia.. I felt overwhelmed with living and life. Everything felt scary and unfamiliar and i truly did not feel able to carry on, although only for a very short time.

Does this sound familiar to anyone... Like i said i feel really positive and on the mend but it would be nice to arm myself with some facts in case of another. The next pesky one isn't gonna catch me off guard!!

Many thanks for reading xx

Re: Intense feelings of claustrophobia and loss of control

Hi Starlight,

Well i cant speak for the claustraphobia, its not something i have, but i do recognise the feelings of scared and unfamiliar. this is called depersonalisation/derealisation and tends to happen when your anxiety reaches a peak - your brain helps protect it by distancing us from the outside world. It is a truely terrifying experience, i get it quite a lot at the moment -its nothing to worry about, your mind is behaving as it should - its protecting you from threat and harm. The problem we sufferers face is that the perceived threat isnt a threat at all, but control will come in time. Im waiting for therapy to help me deal with those unreal feelings, but have a look at the symptoms page to ease your mind - its a very common complaint.

Good luck and all the best!

Bob

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your reply.. It was really helpful.. I've heard of derealisation but never related to it, but you've really made me think.. I do get the feeling of being seperate from my surroundings and its really horrible!

Thank you again.. wish you lots of luck xx

Hi, I really can relate to those feelings !!!! I often have panic attacks triggered by claustraphobia. When I am in the middle of it I feel that the feeling of terror is so strong that I may go crazy and I will do anything to avoid that feeling because I really do fear that one of these times I may go crazy. My fear is also of freaking out so much when in one of those situations that people will think I'm crazy & I may end up being locked up!!!

I know as I write this, when I'm feeling safe and ok that it sounds ridiculous, but when I am in the middle of it all rationale goes right out the window.

It's horrible.

Hope this answers your question.

Sure does ....... I have the opposite of claustrophobia it seems ... and truly understand what you are talking about. Started 3 years ago. The majority of my life ..... nothing. Worst feeling ever. Same for me not panic like chest pains sob, etc ......... just fear, dread, surreal, disconnected. Hate it.

Thread Information