Thread: working?

working?

How many of us on here are working..be it fulltime/part time...I haven't worked since nearly two years, after losing my job due to anxiety and depression...i was a support worker for adults with learning difficulties, and although I have had a back operation since then and taken a while to get myself back to full health, I would love to go back to work to bring some structure to my life, and of course the money!

I feel a lot of guilt as I am trying desperately to find something, and also have a 13yr old son to look after..but I also suffer with anxiety and panic which makes things so much harder and also worry what to say to a new employer about why have been off for so long...its enough to make me panic in itself!
    I really think that not working is making me much worse, as I need stimulation which Im not getting right now and is making me down..

Just wondered what other's view were.

Re: working?

Hi
    I work from home self employed for now which helps me, however I am enrolling on a college course and looking into voluntary work.
    I think that when you can show a potential employer that you have been doing something, whether it be voluntary work or at college, then it looks a lot better than saying off sick however unfair that is. I do know that we need time off sometimes to recuperate depending on the severity of our problems. I had a really good well paid job but my breakdown ended that. I just could not face going back to such a stressful job and I really did need months off to get over my breakdown and even now I am not fully better.
    Please dont beat yourself up about it - you will only add to your anxiety. You have been doing a worthwhile job in bringing up your son You had what sounds like a good job before you became unwell .Look upon it as a new beginning. You have been unwell with your anxiety and depression, plus your back trouble. Dont feel guilty about taking time out of work. You needed that time to recuperate.
    I do think that for some people working helps take their mind off their own issues, however that said, if you are very unwell with anxiety and depression then it can be impossible. When I had my breakdown I could barely walk up the stairs let alone go to work. I was really out of it at times. I do believe that being in work however is much better for your mental health than being sat at home dwelling on our problems.
    You will have all your skills still - could you go and do a refresher course at college and brush up on your skills whilst looking for a job?
    I hope things work out for you.
    Last edited by PoppyC; 14-04-09 at 19:44.

hi
    i work full time as a nurse takes my mind off my own problems.

I'm redundant at the moment. There are few jobs going in my region. I'm getting cabin fever from being at home. Help me.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I work full time. Everyone at work knows I suffer from anxiety and If i start to have a panic attack I go to the toilets and sit it out. I do'nt have many attacks at work probably because I know everyone is ok with it so It's not a problem.
    I have far more panic attacks at home, at home I tend to wollow in my own self pity. I've found working a great help.

Hi Woody

i can relate to yr post. Iv been off work for 11 months due to panic and anxiety. I am slowly getting better, but im also scared to go back because thats where the panic attacks started.

Also like yourself, im worried wot to say to an employer when they ask wot have i been doing for the past year.

I feel very guilty for being off work, but after struggling for 5 years it eventually got me and i couldnt cope

take care

mandie x

Hi...I have been signed off work for 8 weeks now.....My anxiety seemed to get worse at work.....causing me panic attacks (it was terrifying),,,,my depression is also killing me at the minute, I cant imagine going back to work yet though ,,,,work probably is one of the main contributing factors for my illness at the minute.

I would like to work for myself its just ahving the guts and energy....at the minute thats a no no

Thanks for your comments guys. I was made to resign from my last job, which looking back I really wish I hadnt..though at the time I was really upset, and had my line manager saying things like...i dont think you can cope with the job, and you're not well etc etc which led me to doing exactly that..she put a pen and paper in front of me and even told me what to write! really should have spoke to someone after that happened but i didnt..just went further into depression.
    I really think work will help me as I like others, tend to wallow too much when at home, and I get more isolated and withdrawn making it harder to look for work.
    Ive had a questionnare today regarding my benefit which have to fill in and send back...had a medical a whhile back, looks like have to go through it all again...
    Im going to make an appt to see my gp i think, and talk things through with him..I had a panic attack at the supermarket yesterday, which havent had for a while...so think is time to pay him a visit, as they are the professionals after all??

Hi

I've been off work since last August and it is only now that I'm thinking about it. I love my job and gettin out of the house, but i'm still not ready to go back to work. Still when i'm leaving the house my aniexty takes over. The only place i can go and feel not too bad is my dr's, (how strange is that). I really should be back at work as my hubby got made redundant and we have 3 small kids to look after and money is sooooooo tight. I'm tryin not to pressure myself but hope i will know when the time is right to return (if i still have a job).

I'm tryin not to let things stress me anymore and keeping thinkin, there are alot of people in the same situation as me.

take care

xx

Jacqui xxoo

Thread Information