Thread: heart question

heart question

Okay, so my HA is almost unnoticeable the past two weeks, thank GOD! I've had really good days and I've actually been taking my meds every other day now(I actually feel better on the days where I don't take it, weird) anyways, I do have a question though and I think this will put my mind at ease a little bit more. We've all ready stories where young healthy people, typically athletes, all of a sudden die of a undetected heart problem. My question is how did these heart problems go undetected? most athletes, especially professional have amazing drs, wouldn't they have at least once in their training had an EKG or ultrasound? I am due with my baby in just 14 more weeks and I really want to whip my body back into shape, even better than I was before, but I'm beginning to worry that if I start training really hard and running, and weight lifting that I do will fall over dead of a "undected heart problem" I've had 2-3 EKG's in my life, 1-2 ultrasounds on my heart, wouldn't they have found something if something was wrong with my heart? I know heart conditions can change with age, weight, stress, etc. I've never been overweight, even throughout both of my pregnancies I do not get overweight. I'm only 22, stress is a another thing though because I've always been a worry wart. As long as I keep my weigh under control, eat a healthy diet, and exercise I really have nothing to worry about, right? They would have found something wrong with my heart by now right? I do have a heart murmur and mitral valve prolapse, but the dr said most people grow out of their murmur and my mitral valve in very mild and would probably go away on my own with exercise.

Re: heart question

From what im aware most of the heart problems that cause sudden cardiac death are to do with irregular electrical rhythms e.g. long QT interval. These are picked up by ECGs....so i'd assume in these people, especially as they are young and may not be acutely aware of any symptoms subsequently may have not had any tests such as ECG. They do carry out ECGs very routinely nowadays for this reason.

Also im aware some conditions such as enlargement may occur in some people for various reasons and can cause sudden cardiac death with the level of exercise professional atheletes do, these would generally be picked up by echo/ultrasounds....i dont think echos are done as routinely as ECGs, im aware some docs look at an ECG and say everything looks ok from this and do no futher tests.

I have a murmur and small ASD (hole) in my heart, but ive been told I have nothing to worry about with mine either! Its not likely either of us are going to drop dead with exercise, infact we are kinda lucky because we are more carefully monitored because of the murmurs etc x

Thread Information