Thread: Not a good Dr. Appt.

Not a good Dr. Appt.

Hey All,

So I've been posting the last few days about my fears about my heart, that I've been having chest discomfort/pressure and heart palpitations. I finally went back to the doctor last night.

Of course my anxiety was through the roof, wouldn't quite go into a panic attack but I was a mess of nerves, blood pressure was higher than last time (150/90) though not as high as I was fearing. My dr. was more concerned of course with my high stress level and anxiety.

He listened to my heart, said it sounded good but said he wanted to do an EKG to prove that I was fine. Well, they did it twice and both times it came back abnormal. I snuck a peak at the findings, I caught the word "Atrophy" and flew into a panic. He said that the report also said that there was a couple of lead wire errors and that the report was NOT accurate and that he has an old machine that sometimes makes errors So he apologized that his plan backfired.

So I'm now being sent to a cardiologist for a stress test. My doctor says he is only doing this to prove to me once and for all that my heart is fine and that he feels that there is no way a healthy 28 year old could have coronary heart problems unless I had a birth defect that nobody ever new about.

So I'm kind of unhappy right now. I know my doctor makes sense, but that STUPID EKG.

Shelly

Re: Not a good Dr. Appt.

Did you also know that just placing one electrode in the wrong area of your chest etc can give you a totally abnormal reading. I think the lead errors are quite common and your Dr is completely sure his machine is not right.

I was interested in your blood pressure reading as soon as I go into a Drs surgery or hospital my heart races up to 120bpm and my blood pressure has recently been 150/87 but no one seems to be bothered and they all say oh a slightly high top reading is nearly always anxiety induced.

I think I need a huge dose of tranquillizers before my next bp reading

I am sure your stress test will be fine and just another horrible test we put ourselves through becasue of our health anxiety.

Countrygirl,

Thank you so much. I'm a little relieved to hear you say that! While doing the test, the girl had trouble getting the machine to work, then she had to re-attach the leads, one came off etc. I got scared because it read abnormal twice, but it was a mess from the start.

I'm glad that I'm getting the stress test done, but I will be sure to take some meds before I go so I don't get all worked up again! I still have the annoying chest pressure, but doctor still thinks its anxiety or chest wall irritation. He said at worst, it would be something totally treatable and to focus on my anxiety issues first.

Thanks again for posting!!!!

I would advise you not to have meds before you go as this could interfere with the results - definitely ask before you do that! Poor you - what a nightmare. Still, at least you are getting it done again and I am sure the readings will be fine. I also know it's easy to say this when it's someone else - not so easy to believe when you talk about yourself. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Seeker,

That is exactly what I thought and didn't take any meds yesterday. After seeing the state I was in, he told me take a xanax right there!

Thank you for understanding. I know the chances are slim that there is something really wrong, but for someone like me it was very hard to see that abnormal result and not get upset.

I'm trying to tell myself that even if they find something, life goes on. People live with lots of different medical problems for years. Medicine can do wonders right? Maybe thats the wrong way to look at it, but I'm trying to work on my fear of a bad result.

Thanks again and I will post on Monday after the test

Hi

I went through the same process you are going through and my Doctor sent me for the tests to prove it was anxiety. He was right!

I still get heavy arms and aches, chest feelings, shortness of breath and so on. But what I don't do anymore is rush to emergency because I now know it is anxiety. It's the anxiety I then deal with and not the fear of heart failure.

Your doctor is correct, if someone your age had any heart problems you would have known about it long before now.

Out of all the people that are referred to cardiology departments only a fraction require further investigation. Then out of that fraction only a fraction of these need looked at again. The vast vast vast majority are fine.

Please don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by Utility View Post
    Hi

I went through the same process you are going through and my Doctor sent me for the tests to prove it was anxiety. He was right!

I still get heavy arms and aches, chest feelings, shortness of breath and so on. But what I don't do anymore is rush to emergency because I now know it is anxiety. It's the anxiety I then deal with and not the fear of heart failure.

Your doctor is correct, if someone your age had any heart problems you would have known about it long before now.

Out of all the people that are referred to cardiology departments only a fraction require further investigation. Then out of that fraction only a fraction of these need looked at again. The vast vast vast majority are fine.

Please don't worry
    Thank you for the support. Knowing that you went through the same thing really helps me start to believe that this is all going to turn out ok. It's hard not to worry, but seeing a post like yours HELPS so much with my wandering and creative imagination.

I don't know if I would have gotten through today without the support of this board. Thank you to all of you.

Shelly

That is how I feel also!
    I am 27 years old.. and I've been suffering from anxiety since I was 22...
    Last month I found a new doctor and I told him the same old story about how I fear I have a heart condition.. that my family has heart problems... and one of my mum's sister almost had a heart attack and had to go under surgery immediately.
    My doc asked for a EKG, stress test, ultra sound and 24 hour holter monitor..
    So you think it would put my mind to rest???
    No it didn't...
    I still feel I have something wrong with me.. even my doc told me I am healthy !

Thread Information