Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I accept I haven't got Rabies!!!

Why can't I accept I haven't got Rabies!!!

I was bitten by a dog on the leg three weeks ago, it was a local dog and the owner was very apologetic and followed me home and asked if I was alright, he then came back to see me in the evening to make sure I was alright after I had been to the doctors surgery to have my leg dressed and cleaned. Since then I have had terrible anxiety that I will get Rabies from it. I live in the UK, I've phoned up NHS Direct, a Pharmacist and seen my doctor and all say that the UK is Rabies free but I still can't get it out of my head. My anxiety had got so bad over it that I went to my doctor and he put me on an antidepressant called Citalopram, I've been on that for four days now, my anxiety has eased a little bit over it but the thoughts are still there in the background. The only bad side effect I've had on Citalopram at the moment is that I'm only getting four hours sleep a night on it but I know that this is one of the side effects and should wear off. I just can't be logical about this situation. The thought of Rabies just terrifies me. Is there any advice anyone can give me please that can help me see sense.

Re: Why can't I accept I haven't got Rabies!!!

Dont worry, rabies really is not an issue in the UK. otherwise, all pet owners would be getting it as bites are so common. its impossible to get in from a dog in this country. and if you did have rabies (which is impossible) most likely you would have the symptoms by now. so stop stressing!

I am now 48 yrs old and there has never been a case of rabies from a dog bite in my lifetime in UK.
    You do not even have a theoretical risk let alone a real one.
    I am sure you realise that this is just the illogical bit of health anxiety kicking in.

Quote Originally Posted by neelam30 View Post
    Dont worry, rabies really is not an issue in the UK. otherwise, all pet owners would be getting it as bites are so common. its impossible to get in from a dog in this country. and if you did have rabies (which is impossible) most likely you would have the symptoms by now. so stop stressing!
    Thanks so much for your reply, I know what you're saying is right but I have a terrible problem with Health Anxiety, I just think the worse over things and think I will get rare illnesses. The worst thing is about rabies symptoms is that they start anytime from two weeks to a year after the bite. I know I sound rediculous and like I've lost the plot over this but I just can't get it out of my head. I will try hard and put it out of my mind. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I am now 48 yrs old and there has never been a case of rabies from a dog bite in my lifetime in UK.
    You do not even have a theoretical risk let alone a real one.
    I am sure you realise that this is just the illogical bit of health anxiety kicking in.
    Thanks for your reply, I'm already beginning to feel a lot better after these two replies, I think I just need reassurance all the time. Thanks.

you categorically do not have rabies!! It's one of the things that dogs in the UK are innoculated against.... so pretty much totally impossible to get!

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    I was bitten by a dog on the leg three weeks ago, it was a local dog and the owner was very apologetic and followed me home and asked if I was alright, he then came back to see me in the evening to make sure I was alright after I had been to the doctors surgery to have my leg dressed and cleaned. Since then I have had terrible anxiety that I will get Rabies from it. I live in the UK, I've phoned up NHS Direct, a Pharmacist and seen my doctor and all say that the UK is Rabies free but I still can't get it out of my head. My anxiety had got so bad over it that I went to my doctor and he put me on an antidepressant called Citalopram, I've been on that for four days now, my anxiety has eased a little bit over it but the thoughts are still there in the background. The only bad side effect I've had on Citalopram at the moment is that I'm only getting four hours sleep a night on it but I know that this is one of the side effects and should wear off. I just can't be logical about this situation. The thought of Rabies just terrifies me. Is there any advice anyone can give me please that can help me see sense.
    Hi hope your feeling a bit better. Just wanted to say that your thoughts are totally normal for someone who is very anxious. Its s bit like obsessive complusive disorder but about health. You know deep down that logically there is no problems but your ' feel' like there is and you give to much attention to your 'feeling' that something is wrong. Its just that brain chemicals are out of balance and the symptom of that is the 'feeling' that something is wrong and us health worriers latch the feeling onto health concerns.

Please dont worry - you have not got rabies and will laugh about this worry soon !

Lisa
    xxxxxx

Thank you so much for all the replies, they have really made me feel so much better. I had a good day today, the wife of the chap who was with the dog that bit me came out and saw me today whilst I was walking my dog over the field, she asked how my leg was and we had a good old chat, she answered alot of my questions about the dog and I felt so much better afterwards, she was very nice and I could see their dogs are well looked after and are in good health. She said they weren't letting the dog off the lead anymore.

I agree with everything you wrote LisaLisa, it's amazing how you're mind just blows everything out of reality and you feel such a fool but the feelings are so real and you just can't fight them. Having anxiety over anything is a horrible feeling and I feel sorry for all the people like myself, that suffer with it. Thanks again to you all (this is a brilliant website).

Hi glad you're feeling better. I totally understand as I am exactly the same. I have lost count of the amount of times I have imagined I have the wierdest illnesses that logically I know there is no way I could possibly have, but the old anxiety kicks in and imagination runs riot, and suddenly you have all the symptoms. I was bitten by a dog 12 years ago, and at the time they couldn't find the owner and thought it was a stray, it was in the UK, so I was put on the strongest antibiotics, anti tetanus jab etc. I felt sick for the whole of the following week and thought I had tetanus and all sorts. It was only after the second week that common sense started to kick in and tell me if I had that I'd be in a bad way by then, and with that I started to feel better. It then turned out it wasn't a stray and I found the owner, and my mind was then put at rest. Don't worry you couldn't possibly get that in this country its just your mind tricking you. Take care x

Scarecrow- I am glad your working through it. Please know you are among others who worry about things like that too. My family thinks I am a NUT! I can't get HIV worries out of my head, and yes I have had a - test It is HA....I do not know much about rabies but I know that if their dog had it, it would have been foaming at the mouth right...you know sick looking?
    Try to stay strong and please please....stay off of google or they will have your leg falling off...smile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information