Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motivation

Motivation

You all know how it is. Every morning you wake up, as your eyes begin to open you start to contemplate the day ahead and you feel a slight churn in your stomach.

Ok, this is it, time to get up. But, out of nowhere appears another voice, it's a voice of doom and gloom, it speaks of nothing but the struggles that lay ahead in your day. Then suddenly your eyes roll back in your head and you're sourrounded by a feeling of bliss, your senses have made a sudden change and you're now looking over a vast landscape, a landscape where you've never seen so much beuty, this is paradise!

Once again your eyes open, your stomach churns, you tilt your head and look at the clock, it's 11am! You've slept for 10 hours. By this point you're already beginning to feel depressed, gone is the early start you promised yourself. The motivation you also promised is barely existent, it's ovewhelmed by the negative contemplation of what you'll have to endure today.

You've managed to peel youself out of bed by noon though and you stumble down the stairs with nothing but your contemplative mood.

So far not so good. But you have a burning desire to build your motivation, you don't want to live with your anxiety a day longer, all these years it has hindered you, and you can start doing something about it right now! You have all that power in your hands, you have the power to take control of your own life, the power to do all those things that are going to scare you in the day ahead, and after confronting your fears, tomorrow is going to be a better day.

Of course, you think about this a little, then you switch on your computer, log into NMP and your day is set. You're going to sit here all day!

What happened to confronting your fears and making that first step into recovery? Why is it that you want something so much but fail at the first hurdle?

You may go for some lunch. Microwave meal is the order of the day since your negative self ruled out the healthy option you planned the night before. Obviously it takes far too much will power to spend 15 minutes cooking!

But, you're determined, and after you eat you're going to at least make some constructive use for your day. Since you've already got off to a bad start you're not expecting much, but you are going to do something!

Or are you? Yes, you start thinking about it. The more you think, the more you fill with despair. The harder you try the more difficult it gets. You're desperately trying to instill some positive feelings within yourself and feed yourself the motivation to make that trip out today. It feels very much like a mountain climber who is desperately trying to reach the top, he knows he has to try harder or he'll not make it, but the harder he tries the more rocks crumble away and he makes less progress.

As the old saying goes, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it.

That's how I feel at times. As if I am two people, the positive and the negative, the positive self takes the negative self to the water, but the negative self won't drink it.

Any tips guys?

mico

hey Mico,

I can totally relate to your post!! I know exactly what you mean. I used to be really bad but have got a little better now..I think that the trick is to just get up and start doing things before that first voice gets his chance to bring you down..when the alarm goes off in the morning, jump out of bed before even thinking about it..

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

I know that's a good answer Sarah, I just never seem to manage it. Maybe I'm just lazy. [:I]

mico

Hey,
    I used to be so like that hun, i got up in the mornings and thought i really cant be bothered today, the kids went off to school and i did nothing for the whole day, everything was such an effort, i went on for ages like that. I got so down about it, i decided i couldnt carry on wasting my life away, its short enough as it is. I began to set my self a task each day, nothing big to begin with just small things. It is really hard at first because motivation comes from within, no one can give it to you, you have to find it within yourself. Gradually i began to do a bit more each day until all of a sudden, i found there wasnt enough time in the day to do all the things i wanted to do. I'm not saying it is easy because it isnt, you have to really make yourself do things, but hey in this life nothing ever is easy is it. I still get days when i get up and think i really cant be bothered today, but i wont let myself get back to the routine of doing nothing, like i said before life to short to let it pass you by.
    Just try to get up in the mornings with a positive thought in your head and keep telling yourself you can do it, even if you write a list of the things that you are going to do each week and tick them off as you do them, it may sound stupid but by the end of the week you look back at it and think 'hey i actually did something with my time this week'.
    Sorry to ramble on, but you know me i have trouble explaining myself and what i mean lol.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Take care hun
    Love Tracey XX

its "just a thought"

Mico,

I think thare is a fundemental difference here and that is of whether you have to do something or not.

Presuming you're well enough...not in an acute state any more

If you have kids - there is reason one
    If you have to go to work - reason two

Full time students especially PhD, have a particularly hard time with this as often lectures/ tutorials are fairly go as you please and mananha attitude kicks in day after day.

I think we can all be a bit like this on days off and weekends. I certainly admit to meaning to do all sorts of garden/ house jobs and not getting any done but have spent ages here and have gone out for a walk instead.

Its one of the reasons that I recommend 'well on the road to recovery' people to do some volunteer work as a transient phase for motivation and self worth and makes you get up at least for one day.

Volunteering ...

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Tracey

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">It is really hard at first because motivation comes from within, no one can give it to you, you have to find it within yourself.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Very true. I keep looking though, I just keep struggling to find it. I thought if I got you guys of on a discussion about it then it may just trigger some interesting thought for me.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">like i said before life to short to let it pass you by.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I keep telling myself that, which is why I find it difficult to understand why I still fail in doing the things I want to do, some of these things seriously aren't difficult at all!

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Just try to get up in the mornings with a positive thought in your head and keep telling yourself you can do it,</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I do try, but that positive thought is a struggle.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">even if you write a list of the things that you are going to do each week and tick them off as you do them, it may sound stupid but by the end of the week you look back at it and think 'hey i actually did something with my time this week'.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Doesn't sound stupid at all, it's a good idea. If I can grab enough motivation to do it.

Ok, I'll try to be less negative.

Meg

As usual, you're very right. I know it would be a great help if I had something which I had to get up for, kick start my day and getting me going on a morning, setting myself up for the rest of the day.

I know this all too well myself though, I'm kind of stuck in a place where I'm trying to motivate myself to find something that will fill my days! Catch 22.

Even though this is something I know all too well, it's still good to see it written down, I guess which is the reason I post these things in the first place. It still annoys me that I can't motivate myself out of will alone, but I'm continually working on it. But, I've had quite enough of it now and I'm devising a plan of action, I refuse to be beaten by my lack of enthusiasm.

mico

Mico,

I love your posts as it gets us all pondering on things but I do think your ponderings are what are limiting you sometimes.

I would guess spontaneity is not your best friend but just maybe if you could do something out of the ordinary for you on the spur of the moment it would lift you.

Could you fit in any volunteering ?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Mico,

I find it incredibly hard to motivate myself,
    Ive worked from home for 8 years but this year i have not had any work, so once i have taken the girl to school i just did not know what to do with myselfsome days going back to sleep for as much of the day as i could even though there were a million and one things in the house i could be doing the thought of it made me feel worse

im working from home again now so at least i have a bit of a routine which really helps, but still find it hard to get out of bed, i have to get up the moment i open my eyes b4 i have chance to let the thoughts in or i would lie there all day, and now the things that i put off i do b4 i can argue with myself and give myself a reason not to do it. At the end of each day i do feel better that i have done these things instead of everyday beating myself up at the things i didnt do,
    really enjoyed reading your post, could have been written by me lol

good luck pet,

kairen x

Meg

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I love your posts as it gets us all pondering on things but I do think your ponderings are what are limiting you sometimes.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Yeah, I've pondered over this one many a time.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I would guess spontaneity is not your best friend but just maybe if you could do something out of the ordinary for you on the spur of the moment it would lift you.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    There are times when I can do spontaneity (can't spell it though, had to copy from yours) but I see what you're saying, I often put a lot of thought into what I'm going to do. Half the trouble is I can't think of anything out of the ordinary to do. Or maybe I'm not supposed to think about it, but either way they don't seem to be coming my way lately.

Maybe, over the years (you've got me pondering again now!) of anxiety I've just closed one too many doors to the outside world. I consider myself to be doing well now, but I have built up a long list of situations I don't typically go into like I used to. So, maybe in that respect I'm subconsciously blind to a lot of opportunities around me. But yeah, I could do with something to lift my spirits.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Could you fit in any volunteering ?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I do have things to do, I just rarely do them [8D]. Basically I can't right now. But I did have a look at the list, expecting them to all be picking daisies in a field and was quite surprised at how interesting and diverse they were.

I'm already working on my new sponat...spontaeou.....spontaneous, lifestyle though.

Thanks

Kairen

Yes, you sound very much like me. I guess we all have a little of it in us, I mean it's not even an anxiety issue, but I believe it to be an important one for overcoming it.

At the moment I'm just trying to quietly talk to myself (not out loud!) with positive words, constantly reminding myself the worth of motivating myself. Every time I'm feeling stressed with it I'm just trying to stop and contemplate it, clear my head, insert positivity (it's like a production line!), and off I go again. Once I have the glimmer of positive hope, then maybe I'll get something done.

Thanks

mico

Hi Mico

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Why is it that you want something so much but fail at the first hurdle?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    That's definitely me! How frustrating ! :(

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I refuse to be beaten by my lack of enthusiasm.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    At least you want to do something about it, which is a positive thing.

Florence.

**To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information