Thread: Sunbathing and citalopram

Sunbathing and citalopram

Today when I was sunbathing - not proper sunbathing - just sitting in the sun after a while I felt really sleepy and since then I have felt a bit odd & drugged - I dont usually feel like this on citalopram
    Do you think it could be the effects of the sun and citalopram - I do know that on some medications, people are advised to stay out of the sun but that is due to potential skin rashes.
    Maybe its a coincidence but I still feel drunk! other than that maybe it is just the effects of citalopram.
    I have been really brave and have ventured into the bottom of my garden and down into the fields beyond on my own today!
    Last edited by PoppyC; 18-04-09 at 22:12.

Re: Sunbathing and citalopram

Hey Poppy,

Well done on your trek down the garden! I am glad you managed to get out and enjoy the sunshine!

It sounds to me like you just relaxed and as such it made you tired. I do not think the sun is directly related; I am on citalopram myself and have been for nearly a month, and I had a great day today but went really very sleepy afterwards and ended up dozing for over two hours this afternoon! I never normally do that, but it has happened a few times over the past few weeks, so it is definitely the tablets! It is listed in the packet as a side effect so I very much doubt it is a dangerous sign, and if you weren't allowed out in the sun with them it would say so on the packet, which it doesn't.

I personally think it is either just a random side effect, or possibly I think it is because, after being so tense for so long with the anx, now that your body is finally being allowed to physically relax due to the citalopram (especially if you are chilling out in the sunshine!) your body and mind are saying to themselves 'Phew, at last! Time to make the most of this!' and it is trying to catch up on the much needed rest it has missed whilst you have been tensed up with your worries.

I think we underestimate just how tired worrying makes us; we don't relax our muscles properly at all, we don't sleep deeply enough, and our minds are working overtime and possibly doing twice as much as a calm persons mind because it is whizzing with all the negative thoughts, and as such it drains us, but this doesn't hit us until we finally calm down, at which point our bodies are exhausted!

If your body and mind are tired, listen to them. Relax, have a sleep and enjoy the chilled-outness! And well done again!

Danny xxx

I was out in the sun for a while and the act of lazing there anjoying the weather made me tired

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi there Poet
    How are you today? Hope you are feeling less anxious?
    No it wasnt the usual lazy feeling of being in the sun - it was more a 'I feel drugged' feeling - however I suppose I am drugged really considering the medication we take!
    I have been like this all weekend and still feel like it now - I am not coming off it either - not now when its working better for me. I am supposed to be coming off it gradually this week but telling my gp I dont want to and not going to so there! ....I daren't

Poppy, I've been feeling "drugged" as well, and it does seem worse if I'm out in the sun -- you and me are at practically the same stage in our citalopram treatment if I recall. I think it's just the ongoing battle for our bodies to adapt to the medicine.

I'm glad you're sticking with it as it gives me more motivation to keep going too

Hi Poet and Danny!
    Thanks for your replies.
    Thanks too for saying well done on my getting out to the bottom of the garden. I know it doesnt sound much but my garden is really long and then goes onto fields and countryside beyond, and it was always a bit daunting to me to even go past half way down, but I did it, and went into the fields Yayyy
    Today I made myself stay out and do all the gardening cos I want my garden to be like a relaxing sanctuary for me this summer, water features and all kinds of relaxing things in it . I missed all of last summer - I spent most of it in bed and in 1 room and a bathroom having a breakdown!!! So this summer I am not wasting a moment of the sunny days. I didnt feel comfortable outside but I stayed out all day. I went shopping later and felt really strange, everything seemed a bit strange, - almost like derealization - I had to keep saying to myself Whats the worst that anxiety can do that you have not already experienced before, and therefore know how to handle it. I was beginning to think I was going to have a panic attack in Sainsburys!!! I still feel drugged though
    I got back home and felt calm again
    I have been having plenty of better days though Poet, so stick with taking citalopram for a while longer. I really think it does take time, and that maybe it takes even longer than 6-8 weeks for some people.

Hi Poppy, that is a huge achievement!! You've done a few things you found difficult and you survived! Remember that the next time you start to feel anxious about doing something! *Gives PoppyC the Bravery Award*

I'm so glad you are putting the memories of last year behind you! This year is going to be the antidote you need -- you're building some good memories and moving forward with your life!!

Even if you didn't feel totally comfortable today, it is only day one! You've made a storming start!!

Thanks Poet for a lovely post and for my Bravery Award!
    How are you feeling today? Hopefully a little less anxious?
    I took another citalopram last night to up my dose and after some weird and wonderful dreams I woke up feeling really odd - drugged - and like I wasnt quite here. Slowly as the day as gone on and I have been out I am beginning to return to earth - however I still feel a bit 'anxious' too - its not all gone, but I think maybe I need the higher doses.
    I am going back to my gp to ask if I can stay on this and see what he says.

Hi Poppy, I've had another anxious day today... a real shame after the wonderful afternoon and evening I had yesterday.

If only we knew whether or not the "blips" we are experiencing will fix themselves in time or if it means we need a higher dose or a different medication.

Citalopram makes me feel "zapped" and tired too so I would think you're just experiencing the same side effects as me. I would have thought a higher dose would make us more tired? At least for a while?

Thread Information