Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood pressure monitor - worried now :(

Blood pressure monitor - worried now :(

Since my gp told me my blood pressure very low (which I have been told lots before) I decided not very wisely to buy a blood pressure monitor.
    I have used it about a million times today and my bp is really really low and now I am stressing and wishing I had never bought it. The figures keep changing too which I dont understand???
    My pulse is really low and I dont want to contact my gp who already thinks I am a neurotic hypochondriac hormonal crazy woman - but I am now worried...does anyone know what having a really low pulse can be the effect of? is it an effect of the low blood pressure. I keep checking on the monitor about every 5 minutes.
    Wish I had never bought the stupid thing now!!!

Re: Blood pressure monitor - worried now :(

Hi

What do you mean by really low? A pulse rate is different for everyone and what is low for one is normal for someone else. A lower pulse usually means you are physically fit. Atheletes etchave lower pulse rates than people who do no exercise at all.

My bp is higher than it should be because of anxiety and that has me really stressed at the moment. It is being checked alot lately as I am pregnant, and that is making me even more paranoid. So I would def get rid of the bp monitor, give it to someone else and tell them not to give you it as constant checking makes things worse. Bp and pulse rate will fluctuate throughout the day so changing numbers are normal. And as you watch the readings settle your stress levels will be fluctuating and changing the readings too. Your doctor is aware of your health and you need do nothing else but follow the advice. Trying to interpret figures you don't understand and at times when there may be other factors for the results eg anx won't help you.

Hope this helps a bit, but as I am scared with the same thing too, I'm probably not much help. Take care.

Hi Andrea
    Thanks for your reply. It was really helpful.
    My pulse is 53 The average pulse rate I think is 60 +
    My blood pressure is always very low but today it was even lower than normal.
    I always get asked at the hospital if I exercise a lot - which I dont! I am really slim but I dont work out lots - unless of course an exercise bike counts
    I know it sounds stupid but I read on the net that anyone who has a low pulse rate without being athletic/working out lots, or doesnt have a pacemaker, should see their gp to rule out heart disease - I am now worrying that maybe my anxiety has caused problems I worry more before I go off to sleep - like now! I never used to be like this....
    I will sell the heart monitor!

poppy i trained for 17 years at gym and trainers asked my advice and yes its a sign of being very fit or maybe your meds slow pulse down like beta blockers ect ,or something else your on but dont worry as my anxiety used to make my pulse and blood pressure through roof ,
    and think about chucking the monitor lol

I too have a low resting pulse rate and I am overly concerned about this. I do exercise moderately but find the low pulse rate odd because I have panic disorder and GAD. You would think anyone with PD/GAD would have higher than normal pulse rates and blood pressures. I also have a blood pressure monitor and take pulse and BP several times throughout the day. I wish I had never bought the thing too.

How old are you Poppy?

I have low blood pressure and so does my mother-in-law (hers is really low). It's not a bad thing unless it gets very low and then you might faint.... but i've never heard of it being a bad thing on a day to day basis. You just have to make sure your blood sugar levels are kept up (i.e. eat sensibly and regularly). I know you know this but buying your own blood pressure monitor (unless you were told to) is probably a bit mad!!! Esp as you suffer from anxiety. Throw it away....!! And I'd be much more concerned if it were the other way round. Also our blood pressure changes throughout the day and as we're not professionals, reading the monitors and making sense of them is probably much harder to do.... but I don't think you need to worry about it.
    xx

Oh Poppy what are you like

I said when you posted that you had bought one that you weren't to abuse it and keep taking your pressure and use it wisely.

Taking every 5 minutes will not give you accurate readings at all.

Have you been drinking more water?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

Please throw this monitor in the waste bin.

You are attending your doctor - that's the main thing. As has been prevously said BP can vary for all sorts of reasons and not one of them meaning there is anything wrong. Anytime I have mine taken by my GP I don't even ask what is. If my doctor isn't worried, why should I be?

The same should apply to you.

Hi
    Thanks for all the replies. You will be glad to know I didnt go near the blood pressure monitor today
    I was panicking so much before I fell asleep last night, because the thought got into my head of how much lower would my bp and pulse drop in my sleep I then started panicking about what if I died in my sleep!
    I then must have just fallen asleep and woke a few hours later after having the most horrific nightmare. I have really awful vivid dreams on citalopram .
    Nic - I know you did warn me not to use it lots
    I couldnt resist it though.
    I have been drinking a lot more water but still not the amount people are supposed to drink every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information