Thread: Citalopram and 'Ladies Things' (please don't read if you're a bloke!)

Citalopram and 'Ladies Things' (please don't read if you're a bloke!)

Hey all,

Just want some reassurance that this isn't just me...

I have started citalopram a month ago and my first period on it was heavy but relatively normal.

Now I am freaking out because I am bleeding (have been for two days) and I am not sure if it's spotting or my period a week and a half early.

Doesn't say anything about this in the side effects, and one of my worst fears is that I will have something go wrong that will mean I can't have kids.

I also started back at work yesterday which made me anxious - could this have something to do with it?

Someone please reassure me that I'm not alone in having weird menstrual cycles on antidepressants.

Thank you

Danny

Re: Citalopram and 'Ladies Things' (please don't read if you're a bloke!)

This is a possible side effect of the cit Danny, and it wont cause you not to be able to have children.It would be a good idea to speak to your Dr about this tho.Lots of things can cause these problems ,but its always better to put your mind at rest with talking to the DR about it. Hope you get it sorted luv SUE

hello hun i think you should go and get your self checked out at the docs, it possible could be a side effect.

regards cxxx

It would be a side effect but remember that both periods and stress are very "hormone related" ie the hormones that affect stress can also affect your periods.

It could just be your hormones adjusting through your stress levels changing. Alternatively a week and a half early could be ovulation - most women do experience breakthrough bleeding at least once in their lifetime.

Why not give your doctor a call?

I'ma bloke and I read the post, Zuko, I'm sorry :(

Really sorry you are having this side effect, hope it straightens itself out. If you need me, you know where I'll be

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi
    I posted a similar thread earlier. I have started much earlier than I normally do and and I have only been taking citalopram for a few weeks. Normally I am never usually early or late.
    This month I am on much earlier. I was wondering if it is down to the citalopram. I have had no PMT which is great!

I missed my last 2 periods im usually very regular,I was on 10mg my doc upped me to 20 mg because I have been stressing and having very bad health anxiety about a CT scan I had(Get results next Weds 29th ) ,since upping the dose my period arrived(usual time).The dose increase has made me feel less stressed and helped with health anxiety about scan results,so I put it down to worry and stress.Im sure that Citalopram can interfere with your periods as a side effect too,but if your worried visit the doc just to make sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey I have had the spotting too and went to the doctor but it was nothing to worry about she said but go get checked out anyway if you are anxious about it x

My best mate was on citalopram before me (what a pair!) and she bled on and off for a few months so the psychiatrist took her off them. Definately get to the docs if things don't settle down, but try not to worry as my mate is absolutely fine and she was bleeding for months.

Thread Information