Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV showing PANIC

TV showing PANIC

HI

Has anyone been watching tvs coronation street ?
    Shelly has some sort of panic disorder/agrophobia and whilst watching it last night i was struck with how strange it was to witness someone else having it!
    I said to my husband whilst watching her i was thinking "oh just go out the door shelly whats wrong with you lol", then my husband told me thats what he sometimes thinks about me (dont know if i wanted to hear that ) but for the first time i could understand how difficult it must be for him.
    My husband told me the difference between us is he wouldnt care what people think of him if he collapsed where as i care too much.
    IS IT REALLY AS SIMPLE AS THIS ?
    [:I]

mirryx

It's a good point to bring up.

I think it is that we get too involved in our own thoughts and experiences. When you're overtaken by these emotions they put a heavy bias on your thinking. When this bias happens, you can't think of anything but what you fear. It becomes very difficult to realise that you can just walk out the door at your own will. It's very easy for others to see this, but for you, all your thoughts are piled up against the idea.

If you can become slightly detached from these thoughts for a moment, then you will see that you can walk out of the door in very much the same way as everyone else can. However, becoming detached from these thoughts is becoming detached from your anxiety, which of course is easier said than done.

The fear of collapse is part of the anxiety, that is why you fear it. But, the realisation of these things can be a great help.

mico

Nothing physically is stopping you walking out of the door - it's all your worry thoughts about very unlikely potential consequences. These then trigger a reaction within you that start physical symptoms that then scare you more which further hinder you going out as then you really feel unwell.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">My husband told me the difference between us is he wouldnt care what people think of him if he collapsed where as i care too much.
    IS IT REALLY AS SIMPLE AS THIS ?
    [:I]

mirryx

<div align="right">Originally posted by mirry - 18 August 2005 : 08:26:32</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Hi Mirry,

In a funny way yes I think it is almost as simple as that - obviously its not the total picture but for me, like you, it is!!

When I go out on my evening stroll with my daughter in the dark we hardly come across anyone and I've noticed my anxiety levels are well low and couple of times recently non exsistant. This is because I feel a little bit more invisible in the dark so I'm not having to concern myself with what anyone thinks.

The fact that I obviously do care about the impression I'm making makes me as mad as hell!!!!!! I expect people who dont care, either dont get anxiety or get over it fairly quickly and I should imagine their anxiety would be caught up more with health anxiety etc.

Mico - you put it very succintly, I wanted to use something you said in this answer but didn't know how to include quotes from two different posts in one answer???

I really want to work on this worrying overly much about the impression I'm giving (I could go all deep here and blame it on a few years of bullying in my school days - which in those days was all part and parcel so you didnt mention it)!

If I'm doing something that I'm confident in (like the arty stuff we were talking about the other day) then I'm a different person and don't have the issues - so I guess the answer here is to work on self-confidence, yes?????

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi

I had to stop watching coronation street after a while because I found it quite distressing, not because of what she was going through in terms of her physical symptoms but because of the manipulation from a partner, which I do believe can heighten the symptoms and it upset me. But I agree with Mico, If my house was on fire tom I know that instantly my reaction would be to get out of the house, our bodies react in differant ways to big big problems, but something as simple as going to the car or going into a shop can leave us in a massive disray and having the panic from hell.

I wish that everyday I could fight the fear and I do try but its not that simple

But hey! we can do it

I am sure of that

Sue with 5

scknight

What I dont understand is I get the dizzyness when my mind isnt on my panic , like my Birthday last week we had a BBQ in the garden.
    I had family and friends over (had a few drinks) and whilst we were all sitting talking and my mind was off my anxiety I suddenly had a wave of Dizzyness.... that then reminded me of my Panic!
    DOES ANYONE ELSE GET THIS ?
    Its like theres no escape.
    Also last night we went out for a special occasion to a very empty outdoor pub, I was playing with my daughter and picked her up and spun her round twice.........then my heart went crazy and i felt panic, it really scared me.
    No wonder I am terrified to leave my house alone because I know it can strike me anywhere , any time (I feel no where is safe).

mirryx

Mirry

Your mind often associates certain things with panic. This may be a specific place, or even more general places, it may be that point that you can't cross at the end of the street, or it may be your symptoms themselves, even though these are brought on by panic.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">No wonder I am terrified to leave my house alone because I know it can strike me anywhere , any time (I feel no where is safe).</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    First thing you have to remember, is that you are safe, anxiety is harmless.

To overcome this you're going to have to go through the symptoms without running away from them. It doesn't matter how far away from home you are, it is the same panic and the same symptoms that you may get occasionally at home, you're in the same body wherever you are. It's quite normal to want to immediately revert back to your safe place anytime you feel a twinge of fear, but you need to try and make your body your safe place, no matter where you are.

Next time you feel any symptoms arise, just acknowledge them and carry on with what you're doing. You may have to stop for a second, but the important part is to resist the urge to revert back to the safe place. Eventually, you will learn that you can handle these situations, the anxiety will subside and you will learn not to associate these symptoms with panic.

mico

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
    To overcome this you're going to have to go through the symptoms without running away from them. It doesn't matter how far away from home you are, it is the same panic and the same symptoms that you may get occasionally at home, you're in the same body wherever you are. It's quite normal to want to immediately revert back to your safe place anytime you feel a twinge of fear, but you need to try and make your body your safe place, no matter where you are.

Next time you feel any symptoms arise, just acknowledge them and carry on with what you're doing. You may have to stop for a second, but the important part is to resist the urge to revert back to the safe place. Eventually, you will learn that you can handle these situations, the anxiety will subside and you will learn not to associate these symptoms with panic.

mico

<div align="right">Originally posted by mico - 19 August 2005 : 11:49:40</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Spot on Mico - as ususal.

I may print that off and keep it with me!!

Love Piglet

WOW MICRO,

That was very good the way you put that !

I think Piglet has a great idea, I will also copy it and take it with me wherever i go to remind me my body is my safe place.

Thanks Micro x

mirryx

I watched corry again last night and shelly had a tharapist round to do CBT at home!
    I never knew you can do it at home, does anyone know if it costs alot of money ?

Her tharapist seemed really nice (i know hes really an actor lol) but i think they got the right man for the job and he can really see through her boyfriend "Charlie".
    I am watching this story line closely as I am hoping after 3 years i will be getting CBT soon.[^]

mirryx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information