Thread: Is this IBS?

Is this IBS?

I know.........I'm sorry, there's loads of posts about IBS, but..........

I've had pain on the left side of my tummy, round the side & back for about 2 days. Oh God, this is gonna be long I can't describe the pain, it's weird, but I feel like I wanna do the biggest fart or poo!! I have for many years suffered with loose stools & the last couple of months have been bad every day + wind & stuff

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy back in the 90's which was normal.

Does the pain usually last this long? Does it sound like IBS to you? The pain is constant & doesn't go away. I can't eat much as the pain gets worse when I do. I can't touch the left side, it feels so sore, but isn't bloated. I also feel ill like I've got flu or something, I'm freezing cold, but I know that it's quite mild.

I suppose I'm worried because I thought IBS was loose stools & constipation, I have NEVER had constipation in my life. Also I'm worried because my mum had an abcsess on her bowel, was in hospital 10 weeks, had 2 operations & passed away.

I'd better go to drs I suppose, but if he wants to send me 2 hospital, I'm running for my life

Els

Re: Is this IBS?

hi there, yeah it sounds like ibs too me..check out the ibs link on the left, under health worries, ibs can be very tempremantal (sp). i went to see nurse yesterday about the same thing, its under the health anxiety forum...its titled "oh i luv my nurse". i never mentioned my tummy being sore to touch, but i get that to xx

I get ibs but sounds different to you. I get bloated and can't pass wind or poo as the bowel goes into spasm. I can describe it like contractions and being in labour but the pain doesn't pass unlike contractions. I take buscopan. I would suggest you go to dr to rule out other concerns and get advice on what to do to manage it. Good luck x

it can be just loose stalls, it can be just constipation, generally the spasm is the defining factor of ibs.. if you have had a colonoscopy chances are its ok, but if your symptoms have changed significantly it may be worse seein your dr.. it may be something simple tho so try hard to not worry untill youve seen the dr..

the way i see it, whatever is, is already, so to know even if its bad can only be a good thing..

but yes as i say it sounds quite ibs like to me

Hi Elspeth I'm really sorry that you are suffering like this. I have had two colonoscopies plus hypnosis for my IBS. It sounds very much like IBS but you will need to get a proper diagnosis from a gastroenterologist. If there is bowel cancer in your immediate family he will almost certainly want to repeat the tests. My Nan and her daughter both have had bowel cancer and my Aunt goes for yearly colonoscopies to remove polyps. Your symptoms should be investigated even if the root cause is anxiety to put your mind at rest.
    Last edited by ElizabethJane; 24-04-09 at 15:42. Reason: silly mistakes

Sounds a lot like IBS to me. I have IBS and my pain in always low down on the right and everytime I get it I think it's my ovary or appendix. It hurts to push and also I get back ache, loads of gas and terrible nausea. Also the stomach pain can range from feeling windy to stabbing pains. I don't get an upset stomach that often as I have IBS-C (constipation). I have really slow bowels and only go about once every 3 or 4 days (sorry if that is tmi lol). For the pain I am on Dicyclomine which is an anti spasmodic and for the nausea metoclopramide. Without these I couldn't function properly. Definately pop to the Dr for a chat. I also have bad anxiety as well which is why I have pretty much constant tummy ache (been in pain everyday this flare up for about 5 months). Have you tried Buscopan or Colefac (can buy both of these over the counter and are really good anti spasmodics)

I'm a member of an IBS forum if you want anymore advice:
    http://ibsgroup.org/forums/

Hi, it sounds a lot like IBS to me, i have IBS and feel pain in my lower abdomen and back a lot of the time, especially after eating. I also need to go to the toilet quite a lot and quite urgently. IBS can take so many forms and what you're saying sounds like it but I think you should go to your docs just to be reassured and also to possibly get a presciption for IBS, im on buscopan and it works wonderfully for me. You can get buscopan over the counter for about £4 for 20 pills but as it suggests you take 3 a day it could get a bit expensive so may be cheaper on presciption.

Hope you fel better soon

x

Cher- What about the Moonlight.

Thread Information