Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long train journey, help?

Long train journey, help?

In the summer, I've decided I'd like to go and visit a friend and stay with her for a week, but there's a problem.
    I suffer with anxiety/panic attacks/agoraphobia and the train journey is going to be 5 and a half hours, and I'll have to change trains twice.
    I'm just terrified that I won't be able to cope, or that I'll panic and I'll be so far away from my 'safe place' and I'll be alone.

Re: Long train journey, help?

Oh I can sympathise greatly with this

But here is a very good coping mechanism that I find is helpful.

Music. Do you have an ipod or mp3 player or anything that you could try and focus on?

My partner lived in Wishaw which is about 2 hours from me and I had to get a train and I still panic incase I get on or off the wrong train: I once got on a train taht was going to London!

But not hearing the trains noise and things by listening to music really eases me.

I'venearly passed out because I've being holding my breath I was that freaked.

Music and a magazine or something. And get there in plenty of time so you can get a feel for the train station etc.

One thing I have learned too is panicking cos the train is due like right there and then,

Good luck hun

xxxxxxxx

Thank you
    yeah I'm going to bring some music and something to read
    I just get scared that I'll panic and want to get off the train but not be able to,
    or I'll end up getting off at some random stop because of panicking

Well they will have the signs and stuff though..just make sure at every stop the train does,peek at the name of the stop and you should be ok..but I agree train journeys are a bit of a struggle for me too. But I'm getting better and hopefully you will too

xxxxxxx

thank you
    yeah I hope so,
    i'm going in a couple of months, so hopefully I can learn some relaxation techniques before it as well

hiya hayley ive just flown to florida which was 9 hours and believe me i was ill days before flying but i managed it,take plenty of newspapers and your ipod and you will do it.we cant let this awful illness of ours stop us from enjoying life

thank you
    that's inspiring
    I should be okay, I just start thinking about things too much, worrying what could go wrong
    and automatically assuming that I'll panic

Hey there! I am so with you here. My mum lives in West Sussex and i live in Stockport. For the first time i travelled to hers on the train which was a four and a half hour journey...THROUGH THE UNDERGROUND!!!! I was petrified, had PA's while trying to get through the tunnels and stuff. But to be honest i felt good afterwards cos i made it through with two kids and baggage...i felt proud. I'm sure you will be great, i had my boys to help me i'm sure you will find something...music and books even a portable dvd player if you have one to watch your fave movie.
    Good luck, im sure you'll do great and you will feel really proud when you do...big hugs xxxx

thank youuu so much

I'm nervous myself about a train journey I have in the summer. I'm off to see Take That in concert and have a 1 1/2 hour train ride, not really long I know but I struggle with 10 minutes on a bus. I'm going to make sure I've eaten something before I go so my blood sugar level is normal and won't drop to cause anxiety. Also taking my Ipod and some metoclopramide for the nausea I get with anxiety.

Also I'm going to take a few magazines to read while on the train and some rescue remedy pastilles to suck on if I feel anxious.

I'm sure you'll be fine Hayley, if you feel anxious gte on your mobile and chat to someone until you feel calmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information