Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: swine flu

swine flu

am I the only one freaking out about this?

The news makes it sound inevitable that a pandemic is on the way!

Dan

Re: swine flu

but they said this about bird flu.

I don't think Bird flu went person to person, whereas the swine flu has now mutated so that humans are catching it off each other.

Has it hit the U.K.? It is right here where I live, 20 minutes by car in St.Francis School, 200 students are sick but none seriously and not even one hospitalized. Honestly, I am not freaked out but plan to not get close to anyone on the train (which I rarely use anyway) and to wash my hands a LOT. And not shake hands with anyone (my health aways comes before politeness...I say "I have a cold" or something when someone looks weird or "he bites" when a weirdo wants to pet my dog).

I am curious, given the different countries that post here, if it has hit anywhere else besides the U.S. and Mexico. It is scary that so many Mexicans have died but apparently what we have here is not that serious or a different strain...they will know more soon. Don't freak out...just carry Purell and try to avoid close contact for now. I am not sure if it's airborne, have to research this.

The media always make things sound far worse than they are! 81 people have died from this, not exactly a pandemic!!! I think we need to put this into perspective and only worry if the Health Protection Agency give us reason to!!!

According to the news, it may have reached New Zealand, but I guess it takes time to show and maybe further time for medics to decide if it's the same strain. Allowing for that, plus the fact that some are saying that Mexico didn't act fast enough to contain it, I guess it could turn up anywhere. Must admit it does freak me out quite a bit, specially after that Survivors series that the BBC showed last year. Fictional I know, but based on the potential for a flu pandemic

I am not to worried I must admit, but it puts me on edge when I here about it.

I guess I worry more for my daughter as she is only 2 rather than myself with things like this. Or my nextdoor neighbour who has a week old baby.

Quote Originally Posted by danj View Post
    am I the only one freaking out about this?

The news makes it sound inevitable that a pandemic is on the way!

Dan

No, forget about it.

I just googled this, the CDC being the most reliable. It's spread among humans like any flu, someone coughing, sneezing on you or if you touch the virus and then touch your mouth or nose. Just be aware of this and keep your hands clean, carry wipes if you feel more comfortable doing this. Everything we touch has germs, really, ATM machines, elevator buttons, doorknobs, we just have to be more aware.

There's so many good things about this forum, but Trixie is definitely one of the best, an absolute tonic! Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information