Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitter & Dry Mouth

Angry Bitter & Dry Mouth

I posted a few days about this, but sadly no replies.
    I have got a very dry mouth with saliva and a bitter almost burnt tasting mouth and I am very worried. Sometimes the taste is not too bad and my mouth feels a little better, but at times it is awful. I do have i.b.s and belche a lot and I do have a post nasal drip coming from the back of my throat (the throat feels a bit similiar too). My anxieties are worse because of it but I am not sure if it caused the other way. Also the doctor prescribed me beconaise spray for the catarrh and she said it was the post nasal drip that could be causing the tongue, but how can that make my tongue feel horrible? I have looked at my tongue and it looks normal.

Any ideas please..

p.s Not on any meds except those for I.B.S that I take occasionally when needed.
    Last edited by agent orange; 26-04-09 at 20:09.

Re: Bitter & Dry Mouth

Hi agent

Your doctor could be right, the drip could be causing the bitter taste. It's either that or it's acid coming from the stomach, it can be nothing else I promise.

Either way, it's absolutely nothing to worry about, try zantac for a few days, if the taste goes, you know for certain that it is acid. If not, it's got to be the drip. Don't go worrying that it could be something more sinister, because I can assure you it is not. My money is on the Drip!

Nothing serious at all.

House.

Thanks House, it is rather annoying and of course I don't like it and I feel panicy. I am getting quite a lot of catarrh coming down the back of my throat, but how it affects the tongue I have no idea why.

The tongue is the start of your digestive tract agent, the tastebuds on the tongue pick up the bitterness, that is why you have the sensation in the mouth.

Stop worrying, you are going to be just fine, I promise.

House.

Hello. I have been to the doctor who said that they would do a blood test for thyroid, full blood count and latterly iron levels as this could account for the mouth symptoms. Of course I'm worried but there is nothing I can do so must just try not to worry. He did say that funny mouths were quite common symptoms and sometimes you could not always find the source of the problem. Oh well blood test on Thursday, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by agent orange View Post
    I posted a few days about this, but sadly no replies.
    I have got a very dry mouth with saliva and a bitter almost burnt tasting mouth and I am very worried. Sometimes the taste is not too bad and my mouth feels a little better, but at times it is awful. I do have i.b.s and belche a lot and I do have a post nasal drip coming from the back of my throat (the throat feels a bit similiar too). My anxieties are worse because of it but I am not sure if it caused the other way. Also the doctor prescribed me beconaise spray for the catarrh and she said it was the post nasal drip that could be causing the tongue, but how can that make my tongue feel horrible? I have looked at my tongue and it looks normal.

Any ideas please..

p.s Not on any meds except those for I.B.S that I take occasionally when needed.
    Hi

I use the same nasal spray and if you read the leaflet that comes with it, it states that you can get a strange taste and a smell after using it...i've had the nasty taste

Trish x

I had the taste before the nasal spray lol, but thanks.

bitter taste can also be a zinc deficiency - as well as in iron one...
    Reflux def causes weird taste and burning bitter mouth. The mouth thing is definitely an anxiety symptom. I get it on and off.... horrid. Good luck with bloods, am sure you'll be ok...
    x

Thanks for the advices etc.

I have had all the blood tests back and all is fine, obviously anxiety related etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information