Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contamination

Contamination

Hi guys, I'm 17 yrs old and suffer from OCD and contamination phobias. I haven't been officially diagnosed, although I've read and experienced enough to realise I have it. My OCD started very slowly when I was a young kid. Small obsessions started off, like constantly going to the toilet even when i didn't need to, and later on started having thoughts where I felt if I didn't do certain things, bad things would happen.

A couple of years ago, my contamination fears started to develop. At this time I was slowly starting to develop a fear of germs and in particular, public toilets. This is the embarassing part. What exactly happened was that school had just finished, and I went to use the loo just before I made my way home. I was holding my folder, and didnt have anywhere to put it, so i held it between me legs while i went. And that's when it happened, my folder brushed up against the toilet seat. I didn't think too much of it at the time.
    Over time I started to develop the fear that, by bringing the folder back home, I had spread all the germs that got onto the folder from the toilet, into my house. soon enough, I couldn't stand on the carpet where I had once put this folder. From then one it just got worse and worse. Anything that came into contact with it, I could no longer touch. For example, if I put a book down on the floor where the folder had once been, then that book would now be contaminated. If the book was moved onto my desk, the desk was now contaminated. If something that was on the desk fell onto the floor, that area of the floor was now contaminated.

Now this is how my life has become. I feel as though my entire house is completely contaminated by germs. I'm living in fear that germs or diseases like AIDs or hepatitis completely cover my home and everything in it. It's now at the point where entire rooms are completely contaminated. I have to tip-toe around certain parts of the floor so i don't stand on germs and carry them to other areas of the house.

Amongst all this I have other obsessions and compulsions. I check things over and over; taps, windows, the oven, etc. If i turn off the light in a room, I'll keep checking to make sure the light is off, even though the light is obviously off and I can see that the rooms in darkness - it's just ridiculous. The worst is when I'm the last to go to bed. Obviously I'm the one to turn all the lights out, but I also feel heaped with the responsibility of checking that all the windows are shut, taps are turned off, and doors are locked. From the time I get ready to go to bed, to the time I actually get in bed, at least 20 minutes will have passed. I'll turn off all the lights in the house, then stand there in darkness counting on my fingers that every light has been turned off in each room.

Sorry to bore everybody with all this, I don't really expect you to read through it all. I've just become so frustrated, tired and exhausted that I needed to vent. From reading other people's experiences in this forum it's slightly relieving to see I'm not completely alone with this.

I just wanted to know if you thought my OCD was a very chronic case, or just a regular case? i've told a couple of people about this all, usually slightly laughing about the stupidity of it with them and making it seem less serious than it is, but inside i know how horrible and exhausting it is. My mum knows that I have OCD, but i don't think she realises the extent of it. She doesn't have a clue about my contamination phobia.

Thanks anyway, and I appreciate it if you managed to read through the whole lot of that.

Re: Contamination

Hey sounds very hard and stressful for someone of your age to go through all this, I really do feel for you because I react to contaminaton spreading just like you, it seems yours has spiralled out of control badly but dont worry you will get it sorted as I have had bad spiralls like what your going through and got them sorted with help so please please go and see your doctor, I dont know if you have had any therapies or medications for your ocd, but get yourself sorted out the sooner the better there is loads of help available please dont live your young life like this, your at such a wonderful age dont let ocd spoil it!

As I am more likely to be your parents age i will check up on you because it's so difficult and you can feel isolated, so dont worry we are all here to help.

hawaii1990

Thanks for your reply. No, I haven't had any therapies or medication, my mum has no clue how bad it is and I'm too embarassed to tell her. I really don't want to go to a doctor either. Like you said, I know I'm supposed to be really enjoying this time of my life but at the moment I feel so bored with it, and it almost feels meaningless.

If I leave my OCD untreated, will it just get worse and worse? Or will it eventually pass?

Hi
    I, too, have OCD and contamination and checking. I have had this for over 20 years, during which time I have had periods when I could cope with life and periods when I needed medication and felt really low and out of control. I feel for you as you are so young, but do go and see your doctor about this as I think you could do with some help and support. This site is great for support too.
    You can email me to talk more if you want to.
    Take care
    x

Hi again, if your not happy to see your doc is there any other doc at your surgery you can see because the doc is the first step you really need to see to get your self diagnoised and then get treatment as far as i know. Otherwise you would have to go private which costs alot of money.

When I first had ocd i did not know i had it, it at all it was very unheard of. But if the help and information that is available now was avaiable then i am sure i would have been alot more better off.

Get yourself help it will make your life much better your not alone there are thousands of people with this condition.

I hope this helps please email me if you need to know anything else.

Good luck
    hawaii1990

I just feel so embarassed to go see a doctor. I don't want to seriously explain to my mum or anybody else what I'm going through, I guess I'm just hoping it'll pass by.

Cheers anyway guys.

This is my worst part of OCD at the moment:

*I don't go near the dog after a walk incase he's stood on other dogs muck.
    *I'm worried as I polished my room up tonight and used more than usual to get it clean, a small drop landed on my bed covers I just changed so I was fighting the OCD to put new covers on despite just putting these ones on. But I am holding off but get horrible thoughts and feelings like I can almost taste polish thinking it's all around the room so it's worrying me
    *I don't drink out of mugs that's been near any cleaning stuff at the sink.
    *I worry after doing the toilet I am not clean.
    *I worry if I put my feet on a surface and eat on it I'd need to intensely clean it.
    *I worried when the sewage leak burst in the garden recently.

I'm finding it hard to judge common sense with reality and anxiety. I'm not wanting to change my covers as there just clean. I turned them round the other side though. I know I'm being silly...but I'm in a bit of a mess with contamination at the moment.

I really feel for you so much. How stressful this must be for you. Yes, you can learn to live with ocd, but I honestly think you should speak to your doctor about it - and there's no shame in this. Ocd is such a common condition and well known nowadays. From the medication point of view I'd consider it in the short term because the right medication can be absolutely great for ocd, just to relax your thoughts a bit because ocd is caused by anxiety. Get some help because it could be like a weight lifted from your shoulders. It's hard enough being a teenager!! You'll get lots of support here too, so you are not alone.
    Myra

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW.. now I don't feel so bad about myself..I have had random obsessions say like.. last night I ate some shrimp that was from Vietnam..You know their standards aren't the same as the United States but well im sure the U S checks the shrimp.. but I ate a bunch of tiger huge shrimp.. at dinner..About an hour later.. my face started tingling.. and it wouldn't stop . I got worried that maybe some of their shrimp was contaminated with poisons or perhaps mercury poisoning and also worried that maybe some blow fish poison had somehow been introduced into the shrimp..It kept tingling and finally stopped when I went to sleep..This morning no more worries from contamination from shrimp..At least mine comes and goes but yours.. wow im just sorry for you .. so sorry but as for fear of public toilets you have every right to fear them.There is no telling what lurks in those sick places.. I have found that if you just have to go to a public toilet.. Go to Mcdonalds.their toilets always no matter where they are ,will usually be spotless I don't know why but they are..Good luck with your fears.. Michael

Hey there

I have OCD with contamination fears for the past 11 years. At first it was so hard i could hardly sleep or go to school. This lasted almost a year. This last summer it got me again really worse so much that i could not even get out of my house (being in the house was hell as well cause i thought it was contaminated too). I can really feel for you but be positive and believe that you will feel better with time. I saw a psychiatrist as well for some months something that helped me a lot even though the only thing we did was talking. Just find other things to occupy yourself with, i know it is hard but give it a try. Most important don't feel embarashed about it, talk about it with someone it will make you feel better. You can always send me a message if you wish.

All the best
    Shadow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information