Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from my appointment with the Thoracic Surgeon...

Back from my appointment with the Thoracic Surgeon...

Hi Everyone

So.....not exactly the news I wanted. Great Surgeon and fantastic nurse who explained thoroughly that to remove just a section of the lung is more of a diagnostic thing, and that if it is cancer, they would need to remove the whole lobe anyway. So that would mean 2 operations.
    They still don't know what it is, but on the PET it shows 2 tumours, one slightly below the other. The bigger one 'glows' at 3.2(???) and the little one at 1.7.....cancer normally glows at 4.5. But there ARE exceptions to that. Hence the best thing would be to remove the lobe first time. They even staged this tumour as T2 N0 M0, which means....small, not spread to lymph nodes, not spread to other areas. They feel very positive about getting it all out, and will do a frozen section during the surgery to get a quick diagnosis. If it's nasty, they'll remove all the surrounding nodes and a course of chemotherapy would be the thing to 'mop up' any bits.
    Or, as the Doc said, if it's scar tissue or something not too sinister, I would have just wasted 3-4 hours of his surgery time!
    I have to now do a set of lung funcion tests etc and I am on the waiting list for surgery at Southampton.
    He did ask if I can come in on short notice...I suppose if they get a cancellation?
    I am 'fit' and otherwise healthy, but intend to get bike riding so I can get as fit as possible for this. And lots of deep breathing.
    Apparently the worst part is the physiotherapist after the surgery....this I know! They batter the crap out of you to clear the lungs.

We are so lucky to live so close to such wonderful hospitals with such incredible staff.

Pegs XX

Re: Back from my appointment with the Thoracic Surgeon...

Do you know when you're likely to go into surgery? I'm crossing my everything for you, hopefully it will be just some scar tissue.
    Don't know if personal stories help, but a family friend was diagnosed about 10 years ago with early stage lung cancer at 36 years old, she had surgery and chemo and she was cured. N0 M0 sounds very good to me!
    But of course, hopefully it won't be cancer just one of those health scares!

Hiya Pegs

Well hun they don't seem in any hurry to get you in, so to me that's a positive.

Thinking of you hun and sending you big

Trish xx

Hi Amu

Thanks soooo much for that! I love those success stories, and NO MO sounds good to me too...

Pegs X

Thanks Trish,

I'm sort of on stand-by, I think. I would much rather it was over with asap. The other thing I didn't mention...it is all done with key-hole surgery. But how do you hook a great family sized lump of lung through a 1,5cm hole?

Pegs X

Hope all goes well for you.How did they find out you had this have you not been well?

Awww I hop eit all goes well hun.

And they probably have their ways hun.

Wish you all the best.

Will be thinking ofyou

xxxxxxxx

The recovery time is less with keyhole surgery,so thats good.Ido hope they dont keep you hanging about ,nothing worse than anticipatory anxiety.At least its good news it hasnt spread.Wishing you all the best Peggy .and a speedy recovery .Love Sue xx

Quote Originally Posted by Peggysl View Post
    Thanks Trish,

The other thing I didn't mention...it is all done with key-hole surgery. But how do you hook a great family sized lump of lung through a 1,5cm hole?

Pegs X
    I don`t know for certain but I guess it`s because it`s soft tissue. My father-in-law is scheduled to have his left kidney removed next week due to cancer. They be using keyhole surgery on him too.... And that`s good because the recovery is much swifter and there is almost no scarring (which I guess would have been pretty extensive if they had an open surgery on you).
    Godd luck and all the best!!

thinking of you, hope it goes well X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information