Thread: panic attacks at work

Smile panic attacks at work

hi just need a friendly ear or 2 please. i have started to have panic attacks at work again and they are really getting me down. they usually start over somethign really stupid like posting a letter but then before i can blink i have gone into full blown panic mode, terrified incase i have made a mistake. don't want to go off sick again or go to manager - i was off for about 4 months up to feb this year. colleagues are very good but you can see them think oh god she's off again. going for cbt but only just started. just feel life is really difficult at the moment and as i said it is really getting me down so anxiety in general is flaring up again. jsut feel a bit desperate today.

thanks for listening to me moan on.
    jackie

Re: panic attacks at work

i feel sorry for you i was very anxious and suffered terrible panics i could hardly go out without shaking and i lost a lot of weight have you tried any meds? i have citralopram and im really relaxed now not had a proper panic for ages i have the odd wobble but nothing too bad may be worth seeing your doctor again?

Hi

I used to get loads of panic attacks at work, I still do get the odd one. But I have found that going off sick has always made matters worse. I know it's really hard but try to remember it is not the place that is giving you the panic attacks but your thought processes. You could be anywhere and if you were thinking the same about the on set of panic feelings etc it would roller ball in just the same way as if you were somewhere else.

I know it seems much easier to deal with panic at home because you are in familiar and comforting surroundings and you don't have the added pressure of other people to think about. The only way my panic attacks started to subside at work is when I learnt to ride them out, and to be honest ignore them. Sounds impossible I know, and believe me I still struggle, but it works.

Try not to put words into your colleagues mouths either as you will make yourself worse. I kow you think they are thinking she's off again, but they might not be. They might just be concerned. Either way you won't help your panic attacks if you worry about what other people think.

I'm not trying to make out that it is easy cos I know it isn't but I hope this helps in some small way.

hi bluegirl, not tried any meds for a while, was trying to do without this time. going to CBT though but only been 3 times so far. worried about side effects from meds, did you get any from citalopram?

thanks andrea, i do try to ride them out but sometimes they get hold so quickly that it is difficult. problem is i work in nhs so added worries if i make a mistake, which deep down i know i havenlt but i think i have do you know what i mean. your right i shouldn't worry about what people are thinking but i like to try and be honest about what is goign on and not ashamed as i used to be as this as we know can happen to anyone. thanks for replying.

Jackie. You are a special person. Don't apologise for going on. This is what we like. Anxiety is a curse. I have suffered depression as well its a horrible combination. Your panic attacks, do you know what triggers them. It must be dreadful. I can only send you support and a hug to make you feel better.

Hi

My panic attacks started three years ago at work. As has been stated here and I know it is really difficult, but you should try to ride them out. You know they will pass, you know that it is just an adreneline rush so try to go with it rather than tensing up. I also know how difficult this is to do having been in your position.

Also try reading the Clare Weekes books and listening to the free mp3s from the shop

Take care
    Allye

Thread Information