Thread: Is it hyperthyroidism?

Is it hyperthyroidism?

Hi I'm paranoid that I've got hyperthyroidism.
    My sister was diagnosed with it I think 18 months ago and ever since then I thought that I too might have it.
    So I got myself checked and the results came back "within the range" apparently. That was a year ago.
    My sister got loads of different symptoms (emotional, getting angry and upset quickly, shaking hands, always needing to sleep etc...).
    Recently I've noticed that my hair looks really lifeless, and I understand that's a symptom?
    Also I've got red hands at the moment (I've always had poor circulation anyway) and I don't seem to be able to put on weight although I'm forcing myself to eat.
    I'm quite tall anyway and always been skinny (55 kilos for 1m 73), but I'm normally 57 kilos not 55.
    I have been very stressed and anxious recently due to my kids being ill (one thing after another)) for the past 6 weeks.
    A part for the hair I don't seem to have any other symptoms (No shaking hands, not tired, not p****d off, although a bit emotional).
    Can you just have one symptom of hyperthyroidism and still have it?

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Re: Is it hyperthyroidism?

Any idea? Please, I really don't want to google it. I will go to the doctors to have it checked again anyway as I found a nice new understanding doctor, but if anyone have got any experience or ideas in the meantime?

i dont think you have it though i am not a doctor....

your weight loss probably due to you worrying so much so you body see this as stress and your burn calories without even doing anything...

but i would go get checked out if you have it the best sign is heat intolerance, weakness in the muscles and shaking hands.

but get checked out i am not a doctor..

Thank you chief, I really appreciate it. As you say the best thing to do is to see my GP for yet another test (I think I got tested for thyroid about 5/6 times if not more).
    Shaking hands: No
    Heat intolerance: Maybe.
    Weakness in the muscles: Only when anxious for some reason.
    Anyway thanks a lot!

Sounds like exhaustion and stress too me - which mimic hyperthyroidism. But as you've said, worth getting it checked out.... but am sure you just need a rest and less stress in your life - always tricky when you have kids!! xx

hello , yes its probably stress , why dont you treat yourself to a deep condition treatment for your hair , or a visit to the salon , it may help you feel more confident , take care Dusky x

Hi,

I have hypothyroidism which has turned hyper a couple of times. When I went hyper my heart raced, hands shook and yes I was very tired but you are tired with hypo too. Since your sister has it I would definately call your GP and see if they want to run a blood test. I'm an odd duck, for most of my life as hypo I was super skinny, so go figure!

I do hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Laura

Thread Information