Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: citalopram help! starting tomorrow

Exclamation citalopram help! starting tomorrow

im going to be starting citalorpram as i have been on mirtazipine for 3 months which has not helped me. im really scared because i know how bad the effects of mirtazipine was when i first tarted. im just worried i will go backwards i dont know if i have th energy to go through all that again. Really need some advise if possible.
    Also did anyone who changed to this med find the side effects that bad once youv'e already tried another ssri.
    will really be pleased if anyone could help
    thank you
    emma

Re: citalopram help! starting tomorrow

ANyone got any advise please

Hi emma. I didn't answer before as my experience is all with Escitalopram and Buspirone, but I'll try and offer what thoughts I can.

I think (untrained guess) that a lot of the early side effects may be because of the big change in the Serotonin level and processes in the brain. So to that extent all the SSRIs are similar and things may be easier when moving between them as the body/brain doesn't have to adapt in its entirety. Although they often interfere with different steps in the Serotonin cycle which is very complex.

I would think its usually better to taper off (taking a dose that reduces a little every (say) 4-7 days) of one medication while tapering on with the other one. This may not be possible with some combinations as drugs can interact in unpleasant or even dangerous ways. That's a topic mainly for GPs, Pharmacists and your own reading of the drug specifications.

The problem with coping with the whole side effect thing is that its the only way to get the drug to the point where it works - assuming it then helps your condition. Don't get me wrong I know its very tough, but its also true. ((Its like most people really want a wonder diet so they can eat what they like or take no responsibility/choices and still get thinner. I'd like that too which is why I'm getting wider! )) The only meds with fast action and easy start tend to have horendous long term issues - ie. addiction, so they are now limited to short term use or a crisis.

There are some other posts in this forum by I think psycho_poet who's written up a lot about coping with Citalopram.

Hmm.... a quick look at an SPC for mirtazapine shows that its NOT an SSRI itself, although it does manipulate the serotonin cycle. They say to beware interaction with SSRIs but also say that such complications are rare. The SPC says to taper off mirtazapine as otherwise withdrawal effects will not be good. So I'd hope you are either already off it or are tapering off it.

I've been on citalopram for a month now, the side effects lasted a few days for me, just nausea and abit of shakiness. Now I feel pretty damn good compared to how I was feeling a few week ago
    so many people say negative things about citalopram so heres abit of positive input

xx

Thanks for both your replies my psych recons i can just start without coming of mirtazipine so im a bit scared everyone is just trying so hard with me i wish i was showing more signs of improvement but i do think a change is needed.
    i have only a little more energy left so i really hope this works for me thanks again for your replies.

Hi Emma, I had a very difficult time getting on to citalopram but I survived. Click the links in my signature. Hopefully you will find what reassurance you need. Citalopram has helped me a lot, I just had to give it a chance.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

i have read your post its very good well done im still really scared as i got very sucidal on mirtazipine so i will just stick with it and read you post if i feel really bad, thanks for replying. i might also keep a diary on here when i start.
    thanks again

just wanted to say about the suicidal feelings, i felt very suicidal not so long ago and I no longer feel that way. I was really scared when starting on citalopram, I didn't want antidepressants at all, but when i was contemplating suicide i thought what else do i have to lose and I'm so happy I tried it and stuck it out, because as you probably know it takes about 3 weeks to kick in, citalopram has really helped me get back on my feet and im feeling so much happier.
    xx

Hi Emma,

I changed over from Fluoxetine to Citalopram a couple of months ago and was really worried as the times that I had stopped taking Fluoxetine in the past had made me very ill. Fortunately, the side effects I experience are physical ones and while they are not very nice, they haven't been severe enough to make me want to stop taking Citalopram. It's impossible to say for certain how anybody will react to the medication, but from my point of view, it is certainly worth trying. Lots of luck with it xx

thanks all im going this morning to my psych to get meds my mums coming im stil reallly scared i just feel ill all the time i hate it i dont stop crying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information