Thread: please help - absolutely terrified

please help - absolutely terrified

Hey, I'm a 17 year old girl, I recently found a lump in my breast, I went to see the doctor and she said it was a fibroadenoma, and to just come back and see her in a couple of months.
    Well, last night I was poking and prodding, as I do A LOT, and noticed it had become quite sore around the area of the lump. My parents, and everybody else, have said that this is because I am constantly poking, prodding and pinching it and I myself have made it sore.
    It only hurts if I touch it, but it is still quite visibly red.
    I wasn't really that worried about breast cancer before, as I know that it is extremely unlikely at my age, but I read about inflammatory breast cancer last night, and found out that teenagers can get that. Now I'm so scared, as I know that is very rare but also very aggressive.
    I don't know what to do, I'm making myself ill with worry.

Re: please help - absolutely terrified

Hi hc91,
    Your parents are right about the poking and prodding making it worse! Try and leave it alone if you can. You have been checked by a dr and its nothing serious. Your only young and shouldn't be worring like this at your age, though I do understand how easy it is to slip into. Try to forget about the lump and enjoy some time with your friends and have some fun.
    Take care.
    x

heya hun, i too have just gone through a lump scare i am 21 and after a ultrasound & biopy it was a cyst. I waited about 6 weeks before i aw someone and in that time i poked it, pushed it, stuck things in it. You name it i did it. the result was a very bruised red angry patch over the top. I to thought inflammatory breast cancer but seriously it was just all me!! I know how worrying it can be. How did they diagnose a fibroadenoma? your fine hun, the risks are sooo tiny in our ages and yes it would be agressive if we had it but i was told that it would double in size in days etc. You would def know if you had it!!!

Hi There

Please remember they are so 'on the ball' about these things, if there was any worry at all, they would have hooked you in for further tests immediately.
    Your Mum is right, you've made your poor boob really sore with all the poking and prodding!

Try to relax and keep busy....it'll probably be gone in a week or two.

Pegs X

Try not to worry as this is quite common for us women, the other posts are right in that you have probably made it sore but I know how once you start it is difficult to stop.

I had one of these several years ago and my GP said it was fine, of course I wouldn't let it go and put myself in for a private scan which ended up being clear too. Go back to your GP and ask for a NHS scan to put your mind at ease or if you want to do what I did then its about £90 (was then around nine years ago) to get it done privately. But I would not worry, they are usually pretty hot on dealing with lumps at any kind these days. Hope you feel better about it all soon.

Ali x

Hi

I was 17 when I found a lump too. I was examined at the hospital and told it wasn't anything. I found another one when I was 19 and they sent me for an ultrasound. Aparently I'm just naturally lumpy

The reason I say this is that, you will probably find out that it isn't anything serious and then you may find another one later. You should always get things checked out to be on the safe side, but the chances are that they might just be a natural part of your breast tissue.

It is scary and worrying though, but all of these other ladies are right. They are so thorough in checking these things and they know exactally what they are looking for and the best course of action to take and it really is highly unlikely when you're young for it to be something serious.

I hope you're feeling a bit better,

Nic
    x

Thread Information