Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On the mend at last !

On the mend at last !

I wasn't sure where to post this and I guess it is a success story at last so putting it here.

Quick background for those that don't know. I have Crohn's disease and had a bad flare-up in September 2008 and spent 8 weeks in hospital. Also had a heart attack at the same time just to add to the complications! I have not been in work since September 08.

I had several abcesses on my bowel and had a drain put in my abdomen that was constantly draining pus from the abcesses.

I have been very unwell and in terrible pain for most of the last 7 months and back in March they wanted to operate and give me a stoma bag but I went for a second opinion and returned to my original Crohn's consultant. He said I didn't need an op and put me on some new Crohn's medication and 6 weeks on antibiotics.

Well it looks like the Crohn's has calmed down a lot. The drain has stopped running (2 weeks now) and I have no pains in my abdomen. So he thinks the new drugs are working well and I will stay on them for a few more weeks/months yet. I am coming off the antibiotics tomorrow and they will keep an eye on my bloods to make sure nothing flares up again.

One marker they use for Crohn's is called the CRP and back in September my CRP was 343 (normal range is 0-6!!!). Last week's blood tests showed the CRP was down to just 2.

The main problem I have now is arthiritis and this is making all my joints painful and it can be as a result of the Crohn's disease. I haven't slept properly for months now as the pain is ten times worse at night. I am stopping my statins to see if this is causing the problem and they will do more blood tests to see if they can find out if it is arthiritis and what can be done about it.

I am just about able to eat what I like now - just have to watch the fruit and veg intake and limit that but generally I am on the mend and can tolerate most foods again.

It has been what I can only describe as a horrendous 7 months with so much pain and at times despair but I have stayed strong and positive and made it through.

I lost a friend to cancer 2 weeks ago (he had Crohn's disease) as well and have his funeral this coming Saturday and that is going to be hard but I know I have to go and say my Goodbyes to him.

People have been so kind to me with emails and PM's and even flowers, gifts and cards and I want to thank everyone that has been with me through the past 7 months. I also want to thank the admin and moderator team as I left them running NMP alone for the first 3 or 4 months when I was really poorly or in hospital.

I think my life is slowly getting back on track and I should soon be able to start the rehabilitation for the heart attack which is long overdue but put on hold until the Crohn's was sorted.

I wouldn't wish Crohn's on anyone but happy to answer any questions about it or support anyone that does have it.

Thanks all I will stop rambling now.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: On the mend at last !

Nic, that is absolutely wonderful news, you have really been through it lately, it is brilliant that the meds are working and i am sure you are glad you went down that road to try it out first.

Hopefully the docs can sort out the rest of it now so you can have some happier healthier life back now.

So sorry about your friend, i can only imagine how hard this is for you.

So glad you're on the mend

di xx

Aww I am so pleased for you Nic.. You have had a rough time, I hope its all uphill from here xxx

Nic

That is absolutely fantastic news.
    I know how much your life has had to change over the past 7 months and i know how down it has made you at times.......
    but i have to tell people how brave you have been because you have battled every hurdle head on.
    You have been extremely brave and i am overjoyed that things are improving so well.

Loads of love
    Lisa
    xxx

hi nic
    it is really good to hear that you are on the mend...
    you have been through so much lately...
    and you have coped incredably well
    sending you some
    rach
    x

great news nic. glad to hear you are on the mend
    love debera
    x x x

awww, after all ive just read that you have gone through, you must be walking on air, knowing that your finally on the mend! i wish you all best! xx

So glad that you are feeling better at last Nic. Now you can relax and enjoy the summer... when it starts!

Lovely to hear you are feeling better Nic. Wishing you lots of happiness xx

Hi Nic

Glad to hear you are on the mend, best wishes.

Sharona xxx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information