Thread: ovarian cyst

ovarian cyst

I've just got back from having tests at the hospital after being on my period for 3 months and they've found a cyst on one of my ovaries. Now the nurse said it didn't look like a cancerous one, but I'm still really scared. She also said it looked like it had been there a while - does this mean it's more serious? I've done my internet research and it looks like I've got a blood test and possible keyhole surgery ahead of me, neither of which I relish.

Health anxiety has really been creeping up on me recently. Two people I knew died last year from cancer and I find myself worrying about it an awful lot.

Can anyone offer me any advice? I've now been home an hour and I can't get on with what I need to do because I'm so worried.

Re: ovarian cyst

I had ovarian cysts back in August last year. Went to get them looked at again in Feb 09 and they had gone.

They can just go on their own.

Are they going to look at yours again soon?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi there,

i have polycystic ovaries.which is basically cysts on the ovaries.dnt worry bout it they can fade themselves and even if they dont the simple pill can controll their size and shape.

please dnt fret

tc
    x

If its any comfort (!), I have loads of cysts on both ovaries, like the other poster I have PCOS. In fact I have so many that when I had my scan, the nurse doing it said to the others in the room "come and have a look at this!". Lol.

Hi There,
    I had an ovarian cyst some years back and it burst on its own.. it was painful, but did me no harm. I had a scan to check for others shortly afterwards and i had a few small ones, and the doctors had no concerns.
    xx

Thank you everyone - you've made me feel so much better knowing that lots of other people have had them and were fine. The woman doing the scan has referred me to a gynaecologist so I don't know what will happen next. She didn't say how big it was - and I didn't know to ask but when I see my GP next, I'll ask then.

Did you worry much when you first found out you had them? And what helped?

If it was really big she would have told you as it may well need to be removed. I've had two or three. Have one small one at present - they weren't concerned, as Nic and others have said - the often go away on their own and are only a problem if cause accute pain...

Thread Information