Thread: Cant cope

Cant cope

With these panic attacks even happing at home now cant breath dont know what there all about?

Re: Cant cope

Hey its Mike here

What's this about then - you can cope and you have been doing great this week

Look at what you have done - been to work / looked after kids / gone shopping etc etc so you CAN and DO cope really well

Go stand at the door for a couple of minetes and get some fresh air
    Take some deep breaths and hold them in
    I know how awful you feel but it won't harm you - just try and distract yourself

Tetley is right though - have you seen a GP ?

MIKE

Hi again
    I too find that I get anxiety attacks at home as well as when out.
    You have been doing so well and can continue to do so. You wont stop breathing and nothing bad can happen other than you feeling really uncomfortable and upset
    I find that sitting or even lying down for a while until the attack has passed helps. Put some relaxing music/relaxation cds on or just relax in a quiet space or in a warm bath.
    Do you have any fragrant relaxing type incense sticks or cones that you can light? I use lavender ones and the fragrance does help a bit.
    Concentrate on bringing your breathing under control by breathing in for 7 and then breathing out slowly using your stomach to rise and fall, rather than just using your chest. Put your hand between chest and stomach and feel it fall and rise. Let the breath out be as long as you can possibly manage. Empty your mind of everything and just concentrate on your breathing and feeling your stomach rise and fall and allow no unwanted thoughts in.
    I find that if I do this for a while it really relaxes me.
    Do you know the reason for your anxiety? any triggers? I dont know what causes mine. I have free floating GAD so my gp tells me.
    I really hope you soon feel calmer. Just go with it, dont fight it and let it pass, as it will. I hope the hypnotherapy helps you a lot too.
    Last edited by PoppyC; 08-05-09 at 13:44.

Hi anx mum, Hope you are feeling better????????
    I have panic attacks anywhere anytime and i do not know why they start.
    I also find them terrifying. they do go and they do come back.

Let us know how you are feeling now.
    June

I also suffer from Panic Attacks in the home ....I know its not very nice, so just sending huggles.

Hi
    Are you feeling any calmer now? Are you ok?
    Hugs to you

hiya anx mum. are you on any medication or even an inhaler to help when you cant breath during these panic attacks? if not, you should really go to your gp for help! he/she can advise ou on how to tackle it all. i know how you feel when you cant breath, it is horrid! and i used to get them at home too, infact.., the first time i experanced the not being able to breath thing was at home! hope you feel better soon! x

Hi ya, hope you're feeling better now. I know it feels awful, as weird as it sounds I've had the worst panic attacks at home when I least expect it. When we've gotten to the point where we're having lots of panic attacks, our bodies are in this weird, tense state where their response is in no way matched with what's happening around us. I was watching Mary Poppins with my parents when I got my worst attack ever, last month!!! How silly does that sound?! I'd been laughing and singing along, and then BAM. Massive panic attack and I freaked out.
    But remember, this doesn't mean that your home is 'not safe' or anything like that. It doesn't mean you'll be having non-stop panic attacks at home from now on. Years ago, when I was first diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder, my psychiatrist told me to never avoid the places where I'd had panic attacks because it wasn't actually to do with the place at all. It's one of those wrong associations that we make, f.ex. "I had a panic attack at the gym, that means I can't go to the gym because I'll have another panic attack." So when it happens at home it's extra scary.
    I don't know if you're having therapy/taking medication, but I hope you're getting help. I know you feel horrible at the moment but you can recover and get your life back, you really can.

Thread Information