Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emetophobia 'phases'

Emetophobia 'phases'

Hi, I've been emet for around 25 years...

There have been times when this wasn't really an issue for me, no obsessive worrying/avoidance/cleaning/panic/depression - you know the score. But right now it's the worst it's ever been, and has been like this for 2 years. Why? What was different during the periods when this demon wasn't ruling my life? Right now, I think about s*** every day, many times a day, I just can't stop myself. I want to scream and shout and lash out at all those irresponsible people who don't quarantine themselves/their family after an 'episode'. How can they be so selfish???

The fact that I HAVE had periods when I could carry on a relatively normal life just reinforces the truth - it's in MY mind, under MY control. So now I am even more angry... at myself. For being so weak and useless.

Sorry, just needed to vent

Re: Emetophobia 'phases'

strange u should say that coz its only been the last 6 months i have got this bad b4 even tho i was scared of being sick i never worried about it like this the only thing i can say is i think mine gets worse in the winter months as thats what bugs and colds go round fast always someone with something and in the summer i dont tend to panic so much

I've had definite phases with my emetophobia. When i became housebound in 1999 it was THE leading factor of my illness. I was terrified that i was going to get sick, anywhere and everywhere and by anyone and everyone and that made me agoraphobic and obviously housebound.

Like you it consumed my every second. I could eat BUT i couldn't cook, if that makes sense. I couldn't bare the smell of food in the house in case i started feeling sick and then i was stuck with cooking smells. Summertimes were awful because of the smell of bar-b-ques in the air, i couldn't even escape cooking smells outdoors.

ANYWAY....now my emet is worse during winter for obvious reasons. I do have moments of fear now and then, but it doesn't consume my life. I have no idea how i got here, but i am glad i did.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Heyyy

im just like you suffering with an emetophobia ,
    i was just wondering if you would like to email me or chat via private message and just talk about the phobia and what things we can do to help each other.
    i would love that ad im sure it would help each other

anyway me email is . . . Tom.1610@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Tom x

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I know exactly how you feel, it is after all in our own minds and ultimately under our control, which is why its so frustrating when it crops up. I have had the fear of sick all my life, but it was never really a phobia as it wasn't detrimental to my life. I'd never experienced panic, and would get on with my life, not giving sick a second thought. Last October however I had a bad experience and ever since my life has been ruled by my emetophobia and panic attacks. Every minute of the day is a struggle, and my life has just been turned upside down. It's so frustrating to think that I never used to be effected by this, but now it rules me. I am half the person I used to be, am becoming agoraphobic...I just don't know when this 'phase' will end and whether I'll ever get back to how I used to be. Its horrible to think that this is my life now. I'm desperate to get the old care-free me back!

argh I just wrote a really long message and lost it! hopefully I can remember most of what I was saying...

I completely understand the frustration associated with this phobia. Of course, its all in OUR minds, so WE have the control to make it stop. I have been afraid of seeing/hearing/being sick all my life, but it never stopped me from doing things. It wasn't detrimental to my life, I never gave it a second thought really.

However, last October I had a bad trigger event, which has taken this fear and made it the focal point of my life. So, for the past 9 months I have been ruled by anxiety caused by this phobia. Never before had I suffered panic attacks, now I'll never forget them. Emetophobia has turned my life around, and made me half the person I once was. I am 22 now, and I feel as though I am wasting my life away worrying about something that inevitably never happens. I am so afraid I'll never get over this blip. Its so frustrating to think that once, not even a year ago, I was a care-free happy person with a bright future. I wonder whether I will be like this for the rest of my life.

So I guess this past 10 months has been my first emetophobia 'phase'. How long do other people have bad phases for? How on earth do you manage to get out of the rut? I have tried hypnotherapy, had 2 sessions a couple of weeks ago, and honestly it made me worse. Seemed to bring out emotions and raise them to the surface. I've been extra anxious ever since. I think maybe that's the point of hypnotherapy, to bring these fears out to the surface so you can face them, then move on. Like it has to get worse before it gets better? Anyway, I am deviating. There are a lot of emetophobes on this forum, so I'd love to hear more opinions.

Harps - you didn't lose it - all first posts are moderated.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Harps - you didn't lose it - all first posts are moderated.
    ah I see now, thanks

hiya i also have suffer with sever emetophobia :(

since i was 11 all my life iv sufferd with phobias been scared of bad weather i became house bound at the age of 8 thats no age is it
    then i got pregnant at 16 which is somthing i would never regret but i didnt have morning sickness infact when i got pregnant my phobia went i was more scared of loseing my child
    but then i had my second daughter im 20 now and my daughter is 8 months nearly and since she was born my emetophobia has gone out of control
    i was nearly admitted into the hospital by the crisis team
    because i tried to overdose on anti sickness meds
    they drugged me up on diazepam for weeks i never ate hardly slept i put my family through hell and my partner i drove my children away too iv found it so hard to be round them incase there sick round me
    i self harmed cut all down my arms and legs
    i hid in corners crying with the thought of a bug been out there
    i ran away thinking its best if i stay away from people but police got involved i have never had to deal with a phobia this bad but its taken over my life
    its pushed me away from every one round me
    every day gets a little easyer but as i see the leafs falling of the trees my stomach turns because the autmn is coming bug season this is when i no my panic is going to be the same as when it started
    my partner is a great surporter and so are my family
    at the min im struggling to eat again i was doin well with eating buts its shatterd again i no my panic is coming back im just trying to fight it all of
    but sometimes its stronger then me specially now im weaker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information