Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emetophobia 'phases'

Re: Emetophobia 'phases'

Thanks for your thoughts, I wish I was the only one

Harp - I couldn't say how long my phases have lasted, I only realise that I haven't been in one when another one starts . I had 13 (stupid, why 13??) sessions of analytical hypnosis 2 years ago - and I felt awful through it. I didn't really realise how awful until I suddenly decided I wanted to move house, closer to my mum, and found I couldn't go to work any more. I still don't know if the therapy helped, but it has got me thinking about possible 'reasons' for my emetophobia (other than the standard stuff I've always considered played a part). I thought I would finish the therapy with a clear memory of an event, previously forgotten, that I would finally be able to face and put behind me. Hasn't happened yet... In the meantime, EVERYONE from my childhood is a suspect in some dreadfully traumatic event that I still can't remember. In reality, it could be something as simple as peeing my pants in assembly

i had hypnotherapy one session and worked well for me i felt on top of world for about 2 days
    but i didnt want no more because theres stuff in my childhood i didnt even want my mum to no

and this is what the hypnotherapest was goin to work on and i didnt want my mum to find out what happend so i stoped it
    also
    i think my phobia is down to my dad he used to throw up after he ate dont no why but he must of had a weak stomach
    he passed away nrly 3 yrs ago now
    but still plays on my mind
    i wish i new what it was but im just putting it down to that because its only thing i can think of
    but i heard the smallest thing can trigger emetophobia it doesnt have to be assosiated to been sick in middle of the street it can be just somone saying oh i had a bug last week somthing so small can kick start it

Hi all
    i can sympathise with all of you, i have been Emit for many many years, i have to say i have had very very low periods with it but it has improved over the years mainly due to research,kind words on here and telling myself that people just arn't sick for no reason ev day of their lives, it started years ago after a period of stress/anxiety (didn't know what anxiety was untill then)
    HOWEVER over the past 18 months i have been through a period of stress that i thought i was manageing well but now i realise it has done me more damage than i thought and i haven't actualy managed it well at all.
    All my old symptoms that i had 20 years ago are starting to return i'm starting to become very frightened of how i feel, watching, analizing ev single fealing/emotion it's awful.
    I know deep down it is my imagination BUT i can't think str8 i am starting to fear i'm going mad (a symptom i had for years but overcame with great success) i'm starting to be scared of being alone again incase i do something stupid, i'm starting to feel sick ev hour of ev day again.....
    in truth i feel like iv'e stepped back 20 years, im pretty angry that i feel like this because having been through all thease things befor i thought i would be able to cope with them, but i'm not coping at all.
    Anyway just wanted to let you know i am always around if i can help anyone with this dreadful phobia i will, i can assure you i have done and felt all the same things as you, nothing about this phobia is odd or crazy to me like i said i have done/felt the same as all of you.

Take good care
    Sharon

sweetypie - my therapist said pretty much the same thing. This could all be down to something that as an adult I would find really insignificant, and is probably not even related to actual s***. I did feel he was leading me a little bit, leaning towards the idea that it could be to do with being made to have something unpleasant in my mouth for example (I was abused as a child, go figure...). This has led me to imagine all sorts of horrific things! I've talked to my mum about it and she has asked me if I remember particular things (which I don't, so could one of them be 'it'? If yes, then shouldn't I be getting better now I'm really thinking about the incident? Or do I actually have to remember the thing happening???)

Sharon and sweetypie - it sounds like both of you are going through a tough time at the moment, I'm sorry you're suffering. I really appreciate you sharing. Sharon, it must be so frustrating for you to feel like you've gone so far back

Take care, pm me if you want xxx

i have had emetophobia for as long as I can remember i think It was triggrered by travel sickness as kid. I feel sick tonight and am in a panic because i have suspected Swine Flu. I have also put off having kids because I am worried about morning sickness. Sound familliar would be good to hear from anyone Claudette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information