Thread: Eye twitch & Insomnia to the point of crying

Eye twitch & Insomnia to the point of crying

I have exams coming up and my eye is constantley twitching...is this a sign of stress?

I also can't sleep at nights, I just lay awake worrying...and then I wake up ridiculously early alot of the time. I feel so tired in the day.
    How long can you go without sleep before it becomes serious?
    I can't function, its making me want to cry

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Eye twitch & Insomnia to the point of crying

My eyes used to twitch a lot and that is normal with anxiety.

I haven't slept properly for over 7 months now and it is getting worse. I try not to lay in and refuse to sleep in the day as I want to try and keep the sleep pattern normal as possible.

I have arthiritis now and it is keeping me awake all night with the pain.

I am feeling a bit like you at the moment - very drained and tearful.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi, when I was in college, I always developed eye twitches right before final exams. Also when I am really tired or stressed. The more you worry, the longer it will last. Eye twitches are annoying as anything but not harmful. Two things you can try, a warm washcloth to relax the muscle and magnesium tablets, which you can get in any drug store. It will go away, they always do but please don't worry about them. In answer to your question, yes, they are a sign of stress. It is so weird to look in the mirror and see it move by itself but try to have a sense of humor about it, knowing that it is totally harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    My eyes used to twitch a lot and that is normal with anxiety.

I haven't slept properly for over 7 months now and it is getting worse. I try not to lay in and refuse to sleep in the day as I want to try and keep the sleep pattern normal as possible.

I have arthiritis now and it is keeping me awake all night with the pain.

I am feeling a bit like you at the moment - very drained and tearful.
    7 months?! that is a long time.

Do you sleep at all at night though?

- Emily Brontė

Well since I have been ill. I was in hospital 2 months and was renowned for wandering round the hospital at night cos I couldn't sleep with all the snoring and moans and groans all night that drove me mad.

I used to go and sit on the ward landing and stare out the window!

I think I doze more than sleep. I seem to see every hour of the night and have to have pain killers every 4 hours. So I can maybe sleep for an hour and sometimes 2 then wake up for an hour and then doze etc.

Hard work isn't it?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi my eye twitches when i am overly tired or very stressed, my shoulder also does it too which is more obvious.
    The lack of sleep can be debilitating i suffer form insomnia and find i can cope with it 3 nights in a row but then i crumble and feel absolutly exhausted, if i have alot on and cant sleep its a nightmare.
    try doing all the usual things like nice soak in the bath no stimulants like tea coffee fizzy drinks and if you are studying then try finishing a good hour before bed to clear your mind.
    try not to sleep during the day i know its difficult but you need to try to keep the routine at night.
    take care.xxx

Quote Originally Posted by claire m View Post
    hi my eye twitches when i am overly tired or very stressed, my shoulder also does it too which is more obvious.
    The lack of sleep can be debilitating i suffer form insomnia and find i can cope with it 3 nights in a row but then i crumble and feel absolutly exhausted, if i have alot on and cant sleep its a nightmare.
    try doing all the usual things like nice soak in the bath no stimulants like tea coffee fizzy drinks and if you are studying then try finishing a good hour before bed to clear your mind.
    try not to sleep during the day i know its difficult but you need to try to keep the routine at night.
    take care.xxx
    Thank you claire

3 nights in a row is me at the moment, my exam is tomorrow, I have some herbal sleeping pills, I dont want to get prescription ones though

its doing my head in

- Emily Brontė

You could try the non herbal Nytol. I found this worked better than perscription tablets but I would not take it the night before your exam as it could make you drowsy the next day.

There is a programme on tonight BBC1 about insomnia, maybe watch that

Thread Information