Thread: Overnight on my own!

Overnight on my own!

My husband and I are just beginning to get divorced, after I found out he'd committed fraud and forged my signature to do so. The thought of facing the future without him was horrendously scary - I suffer from separation anxiety and he was always my "safe" person. In the past 4 years, I'd only spent about 3 nights away from him, when I always stayed at a friend's house as my anxiety meant I couldn't stay in the house on my own.
    Anyway... when I first found out I was facing a future without him, I was sooo worried, I felt like I couldn't do it. Since then though, with a lot of determined and positive thinking, I've spent two weeks at my sister's house 200 miles away (I also find it hard being away from home), I went to Ireland for a long weekend with my parents (they're my second lot of "safe" people although they weren't as safe as my husband, and again, it meant being away from home), I got a 2 hour train journey on my own 200 miles away in an unfamiliar area, I now don't phone my husband throughout the day to see where he is, I don't know where he is all the time like I used to, I never know what time he's coming home, and... the biggie... I spent last night overnight on my own in the house!!! My husband left at 8am and I'm still on my own now! I'm so pleased, even a few weeks ago I would've thought this was impossible, but when I found out he was going away I just thought "I'm going to do this" and I did! And it was even easier than I expected, obviously I wasn't 100% relaxed but I didn't have any panicky feelings!

So, I really feel like I'm moving on and I've achieved so much. This time last year I couldn't have contemplated any of this, I felt like I'd never be able to do it. So it just goes to show, it is possible!

Re: Overnight on my own!

You go girl!!! Bet you have surprised yourself how strong you really are :-)

The more you do things on your own the easier it will become for you, Thankyou for sharing this with us and I'm sure you will posting here more often!!

Welldone you xx

well done!

the more you do it, the easier it will become and eventually it will just feel 'normal'

chin up!

"A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships."

Well done!!! You can keep going and get stronger and stronger

Hi
    You are doing really well despite it being obviously being a tough time for you. You sound like a strong determined person and I hope things improve for you.
    Well done!

Well done you. I know what its like as I hate being on my own at night and when I divorced from my husband found it awful. You do get used to it and things will get better. x

lkenny - that is awesome!
    The travelling you have done on your own (and so far away from home, too) is so impressive.

And being on your own overnight -I knew you could do it, and you've just proved it.
    And you know that if you can do one night alone, you can do others as well.
    I'm really proud of you! (sorry for sounding like your mum, lol).

I'm sure these things must have bolstered your confidence a lot.

Thank you everyone for your praise and lovely words!

Thread Information