Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using diazipam as an alchohol substitute!!!

Using diazipam as an alchohol substitute!!!

Hi all

Just after some advice here

I used to drink alchohol to relax and unwind

I have had to give it up altogether for medical reasons

I have some 5mg diazipam tabs which I rarely take but have taken to having one every evening to help me relax......they dont have any dramatic effect on me they just relax me a bit!!!

Is there any harm in this???

What goes everyone else do to relax???

Any advice or thoughts???

Luv Kaz x x x

Re: Using diazipam as an alchohol substitute!!!

I don't drink or take any medication.
    To relax i.....hmmm....good question.

I'm not sure whether its a good idea to subsitute one for the other, since i am aware that diazepam are highly addictive. I think to get into that pattern would be a big mistake.

...still thinking how i wind down....

Sleeping i think

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

hi kazzie both are addictive but at end of day do what feels best for you,unfort my dad became addicted and was so for 30 years but 5mg isnt much anyway

Hi Kazzie..i also take diaz..on a basis when required..which is only about twice a week..i have been prescribed 5mg..but i don't take the 5 i half it...i have had it since feb..if you don't take it all the time you should be fine .. i was getting worried in case i was getting addicted ..but doctor says im not..if you think of it ..if i was .. i would be taking it all the time.. they say you should only take it in the short term..but every 1 is different

I would advice going to see your GP and talking this through with them. Diazepam is addictive. If you have an addictive nature this might not be a good idea.

Why not try some herbal remedies like kalms or lavender oil or some light form of excercise like walking. Hope this helps

hi kazzie. i used to drink quite a bit and did try using xanax daily to relax. xanax is really just shorting acting diazapam.
    one of the problems with these meds is that taken daily their effectiveness is reduced. this happens pretty quickly to where the effect of taking them is less and less until you're only taking them to keep from feeling bad. klonopin may be a better daily use type of benzo since they last longer and have less of a tendency to create rebound anxiety. my sister was on them for a year and was able to get off them gradually. me...i tried getting off xanax and went through hell.
    diazepam is valium i think, so it's not as bad as xanax. you should be careful with them though. sometimes dr's prescribe them for a while and then decide you've been on them too long and they force you to go off of them.

but the good news is if you don't take them daily, like a couple of times a week, then i think they're pretty good for long term use. i think the problem comes when you build up a tolerance to them.

Kazzie - your GP should be helping you out with the alcohol problem here and not prescribing Diazepam.

You will go from one addiction to another and do not want to go down the diazepam route.

Warm bath, relaxation will help more long term.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have been taking Diazepam for many years and have come down from 40mg to 15mg per day. It is a very difficult medication to come off once you have taken it for some time.

Whilst I have been in hospitals I have seen alcoholics been given Diazepam, however, this has been when they are suffering severe DT's/hallucinations and only for a short period.

You have done the hardest part by stopping drinking. You will start to relax and unwind naturaly and gradually without Diazepam. Like Nic said, you could go from one addiction to another.

Wishing you luck xxx

Hiya Kaz,
    I think you have to ask yourself whether or not you want to be dependent on anything to help you relax.
    Once your body gets used to the level of Diazapam you will inevitably have to take more to get the same effect you are now.

Maybe a little valerian (sp) tea in the evening would be better.
    That is just my opinion cuz I know that it helps me to relax
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

I was on Valium for years and eventually came off them myself but thought I must have a brain tumour cos of the intensity of the headaches I had continuously for weeks because of withdrawal. My Dr now prescribes 2mgm tablets for emergency use when I have severe panic attacks...other than that I do not take them. He gives me about 6 tablets at a time so I try to save them for real emergencies! Please do not get into the habit of taking them regularly. Go back and see you Dr for help with relaxing/sleeping.xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information