Thread: What are your symptoms with IBS?

What are your symptoms with IBS?

2 weeks ago my doc diagnosed me with IBS. He gave me tablets for 2 weeks andI went back today to see what effect tablets had.

In the last 2 weeks I have had a sore throat , doesn't hurt to swallow but is burning every now and again. Also have a light feeling in chest area which is worse when bend over. Doc said sore throat to do with acid from stomach but he didn't actually look at my throat! My mind is flicking through having leukamia (due to having sore throat on/off for couple of weeks) to bowel cancer due to IBS symptoms!

Basically was just wondering if anyone else has burning feeling in throat/chest with IBS?

Looks like could be having another visit to the docs!!

Re: What are your symptoms with IBS?

I suffer with excess acid when my IBS flares up, my chest hurts with the acid and I have to take lansoprazole to soothe it. All part of the joy of IBS I'm afraid...

Sounds like acid reflux to me as well.

Easily fixed with diet changes and meds if it gets so bad.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Cheers for replies guys.

Throat was really burning last night sending my mind into overdrive. Had some gaviscon, and what do you know. Burning went!

Hi Tink,
    Gaviscon is to my knowledge the only one that actually forms a barrier and doesn't let the acid come up. Well, IBS and reflux are two different things as you know. I am blessed to have both :-( For the reflux, I take a PPI (Prevacid) but if I could do it over again, I would have taken an acid reducer like Pepcid or Zantac, milder and in a different class. Actually, I would have changed my diet and maybe never have to be on these because trying to come off them is a nightmare. In the meantime, elevate the head of your bed and follow the diet guidelines...try to not eat after 7 p.m. or so.

My symptoms of IBS, if that's what I really have (in the old days they just called it a nervous stomach) is gas, cramps and diarrhea. Some people have it with constipation. If I get anxious, the first thing is that I have to run to the bathroom...not good if you're in a bus, train or car. I have to revolve my diet around a trip and sometimes not eat much for days before. Immodium does NOT help. It's very frustrating.

Thanks Lauren.
    The acid has only just really started and its the throat mainly that has been burning. I will have alook for those tablets for reflux.
    I have started to change my diet also, as was eating too many carbs which was making my look six months pregnant after eating. Now starting to eat more fibre and can start to see a difference even in only a week.

Thread Information