Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lying flat in the mri scan? im really scared

lying flat in the mri scan? im really scared

im due to have a scan on my head tomorrow morning, i fear being trapped in anything or anywhere so im scared of this. also, im really worrying about whether i will be able to handle lying flat for any length of time because i have post nasal drip and lump in throat feeling and to top it off i think im coming down with a cold.
    im considering not even going but my partner will be fuming as he has booked time off work to take me.

Re: lying flat in the mri scan? im really scared

Linny try closing your eyes and thinking of a beautiful relaxing place - a real one or an imaginary one. Add flowers, sun, water, anything you like. Create your own ideal place in your head. By the time you've done that, it will be over! Good luck

Hope this procedure went well for you - just noticed this post was from yesterday.

You will know by now that they give you buzzer to hold on to, so if you're having any difficulties at all you can press the buzzer and someone will come and help you - but you won't need to, it'll be ok.

Hi

I have have to have one soon and I am already getting anxious but I decided taht I am going to close my eyes befoe I go in.

Good liuck, let me know how it went.

Sharona

Hi Linny

I hope everything went well with the scan today.

Carol

I had one of these done before. its really not as bad as you think it will be.
    Its bright on the inside and they play music. in fact i think you can bring your own cd if you want :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    im due to have a scan on my head tomorrow morning, i fear being trapped in anything or anywhere so im scared of this. also, im really worrying about whether i will be able to handle lying flat for any length of time because i have post nasal drip and lump in throat feeling and to top it off i think im coming down with a cold.
    im considering not even going but my partner will be fuming as he has booked time off work to take me.
    Hi
    I have the same problem only mine is my back. I tried to have it done a year ago but failed miserably. Im due to have another one next week and Im dreading it. But my consultant has told me I can have it done under general aneasthetic if all else fails so that might be an option for you if you really can't cope with it. They also tell me that they can do the actual images much quicker these days so should only take 10 mins. They also have sleep masks and someone who will stay with you. All you can do is try. My partner has just gone into hospital for 6 weeks!!! So won't be there.
    Good luck I hope it goes well for you. Private message me if you like and let me know how you get on. And I wil do the same.

just wanted to update this and say that it wasnt half as bad as i thought. becvause it was my head i only got put half way in to the machine so i could see out. there was a mirror above me as well reflecting the window of the office where the scan lady went. so anyone who needs one, dont be afraid, if i can do it anyone can! its really not so bad once your under it.

Hi there
    I am posting this,as the comments by Linny helped me a lot,so i think it is only fair i should try and do the same!.
    I went for an MRI scan on Monday pm.I had been in a terrible state of panic for the two days before because i suffer from claustrophobia and catarhh.So the prospect of lying on my back in a tunnel was about as bad as it could get.
    The first thing i did was go to my GP on Monday morning and asked her for some sedatives,she gave me 3 tablets.I took one there and then,and another before i left for the scan.I did NOT need the third,as the first two had made me feel so relaxed.I had no feelings of anxiety or panic at all.
    So that is the first thing i would recommend,your GP will be only too happy to help.
    As to the scan itself,it was very informal,no people in masks or white coats,i was allowed to keep my own clothes on and all the staff were very friendly and took lots of time to explain everything.
    Because it was a head scan they only needed to slide me in up to my waist,and as the entrance is quite widely flared i could see the outside a bit.Actually the scanner was nowhere near as long or narrow as i had feared.
    There was a mirror above me in which i could see the people at the computer in the office, a few yards away and i did not really feel that i was in a tunnel at all!!.
    The scans started almost immediately and lasted about 4 minutes each,in between they turned down the music in my headphones to chat and ask if i was ok.The noise was not as bad as i thought it would be,it could be heard over the music but it was just like being in the kitchen when the washing machine is going.I was in the scanner for 17 minutes,and the time flew.
    I hope this post helps aleviate some of the anxiety that i know other people will experience.
    Best regards
    PS THANKS LINNY!!

I also was helped by members posts so feel I should add a few tips that worked for me.
    Yes, I too took 2 valium that morning which did calm me down but my fear of the enclosed space was a hard one to fight. I saw on one help site a mention of using eyeshades, I did and they were brilliant! I was lucky enough to have some very black ones in a soft fabric that didn't slip (unlike the nyloney airline ones tend to do). I knew if my eyes even flickered for a second in there, to reveal the contours of the scanner I might loose it, but with the eyeshades it was perfectly dark. Another tip, if you are clausterphobic, make sure your earphones and arms are perfectly settled before you go in. If you feel you need to adjust your arms/hands in there you could easily touch the sides of the unit, then again you would become aware of the closeness. The staff are very patient and accommodating and will let you settle yourself comfortably before they move you into the scanner. One last tip - if you feel you can listen to the music make sure they turn the volume up a tiny notch louder than is comfortable outside, as the noise inside can blot it out a bit. The noise isn't that awful, if feels like it is inside in the centre of the dome raher that right by your ear. It sounds a bit like a faulty washing machine!!
    Last edited by millymo; 16-12-10 at 15:06. Reason: To add some thing that I forgot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information