Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lying flat in the mri scan? im really scared

Re: lying flat in the mri scan? im really scared

I forgot to mention that it can get a bit hot in there. The lady allowed me to leave on the lycra type vest and lycra T shirt I was wearing (as my scan was a pelvic one) and the heat I felt in there, as a result, did make me anxious as I wasn't sure if the heat was going to increase as the time wore on (it didn't). Thats all, hope it helps someone.

I was going to start a thread about me having an MRI in a couple of weeks but I might as well tag onto this one!! Im due an MRI in a couple of weeks to look at my brain. I had one a year ago which because of my bad claustrophobia wasnt easy for me. I also had a cage put over my head to keep my head still. I was afraid to see how far I had been put inside the scanner, if I had only gone up to my waist as one of the previous posts had said I think I would of been ok but was too scared to open my eyes when I was inside in case I lost it. The girl who assisted me in getting into the scanner wasnt very sympathetic and didnt say much when I said i was claustrophobic so Im hoping to get someone different this time. The noise didnt bother me at all, bit like a distant pneumatic drill while music was being played.This time Ive been to my GP and hes given me 3 Valium so hopefully I will be ok. I do have severe claustrophobia, I dont even like the bedroom door closed or the sheet over my face in bed, so I did very well to get through a 20 min scan last time, although I did tremble and on getting out burst into tears, saying never again!

Over the years I have had three MRIs without incident but all of a sudden I can' t allow myself to be put in the machine. This is not life or death so far as I know, we're imaging my shoulder down to the elbow. After my first rejection, my doctor gave me Lorazepam before the second with seemingly no effect. I thought about seeing a psychiatrist and haven't ruled that out and I'm looking into an "open" machine and am lucky enough to be able to travel to access one but make no mistake, this is no joke.
    I have black belts in ju jitsu and taekwon do, have sparred, full contact, with men twice my size. Have bungy jumped at Victoria Gorge, parachuted and have hang glided and yet...

I know some of these are old posts, but I wanted to add to the conversation a bit. I was also terrified of getting an MRI on my head. And the more I read on posts the worse I felt. Just the idea of lying flat and still and in a tube with that head piece on, made me panic. I got through it and it was pretty easy to do. Here is what I did the week before my MRI.
    1. I looked a bit into meditation. Simple just concentrating on my breathing.
    In and out, in and out. Focusing on just breathing. If my mind started to wander to panic, I told my mind (the monkey brain chatter mind) to focus on the breathing. That works a bit.
    2. I got an order for 1mg of Xanax that I planned to take 30 minutes before my test.
    3. I got a box that was big enough to fit my upper torso into. I found an MRI sounds video on YOUTUBE. First day I got in the box. Lying flat up to my navel. Played the sounds and try to lie there. First day I could only do 1 minute. By the 4th day I was able to lie in there for 10 minutes. Desensitizing yourself. This is important.
    4. Told myself that this test was needed to rule out big issues. I had to do and was lucky this test is around in todays world.
    5. I practiced telling myself, "you got this. You got this.You are excited.once you do this it will be something you overcame and beat!"
    Day of the exam I was a bit nervous but not crazy panicked. I was prepared.
    I took my XANAX. It made me feel a bit loopy by the time I walked in. Not out of it, just more relaxed. But I was glad I had desensitized myself and I knew what the sounds were.
    I told the MRI guy I took a xanax and was nervous. He was slow and let me lead the way. I refused the headphones because I wanted to hear the sounds.
    This is important. The sounds of the machine REALLY HELP YOU. I also used the mirror above my head. It's actually great to see your hands and your feet and the MRI person in the window.
    I was a bit anxious but as soon as the sounds started I focused on the sounds. I imagined they were birds and machines and construction building a huge building. The MRI person talks to you between each break. "This next one is 2 minutes." Then imagine those sounds being something cool. I even moved my hands to the sounds. They give you a rubber ball and I moved the ball into time with the sounds like it was a dancing bird. I think he saw me and kind of smiled. IT WORKS. Don't just lie there waiting for it to be over. Play games with each section. Each section has as different sound and they are COOL SOUNDS!! And before you know it, he says, "1 more scan and we're done." The Xanax helps the time to faster as well because you kind of drift in and out a bit. And when you are done you are so proud you did it. My wife promise me a huge amazing lunch when we were done. Have a carrot at the end of the test. Something you look forward to. A reward. TRUST ME--If I can do this and do it with almost no problem--YOU CAN DO IT! Play games in there, focus on the sounds and your hands with that ball. Breath and if you can desensitize yourself a bit. And honestly it's not that tight. People on the internet make it sound worse than it is. YOU GOT THIS!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information