Thread: Who has a mental illness fear ?

Who has a mental illness fear ?

Who here has had or has a fear of getting schizo or a simular illness's just for interest?
    Last edited by Rom; 19-05-09 at 10:58.

Re: Who has a mental illness fear ?

I am aware of my panic attacks and sometimes dont get them for months before getting them again...............when i do get them....like i have been getting them last 2 wks i have a fear of the derealisation/personalisation going into something more that i maybe cannot control. Fear of having a breakdown. x

Schizophrenia is a scary thought and of course nobody would wish to have this in their right mind.

It's kind of frightened me before, especially when doc's had first thought I could be suffering with this (I have Bipolar Disorder) and so have been through some scary hallucations.
    But after spending some time in hospital and meeting a lovely friend who suffers with this, (she couldn't be a nicer person), I'm not so worried, no.

I have seen the magic of some treatments for schizophrenia, and when taking the right medications, the illness banishes.

I'm more worried about having an severe accident that could damage me physically where there is no fix, rather than being Mentally Ill.
    Last edited by Oceanblue; 19-05-09 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by starlady View Post
    I am aware of my panic attacks and sometimes dont get them for months before getting them again...............when i do get them....like i have been getting them last 2 wks i have a fear of the derealisation/personalisation going into something more that i maybe cannot control. Fear of having a breakdown. x
    Hi Starlady
    I had a breakdown and have also suffered with a lot of derealisation/depersonalisation. I very rarely get that now.
    I am 99% recovered I feel. I used to worry so much about becoming fully mentally ill and had a massive fear of it and psychiatric units/hospitals too. I could actually induce me being sick through the fear at times. I was worrying about this when I was having a breakdown! I was scared I was going to get worse.
    Even if we do have a mental illness we can recover. I sometimes worry that I may have another breakdown and I would hate to go through that time again, but I did recover eventually, without any medication, and therefore if I recovered then I can do it again.
    There are so many medications which can help all types of mental illnesses these days fortunately.
    I am recovering from the severe anxiety I had thanks to citalopram which is now helping me.

A substantial number of the population have a mental illness, and at some point in your life it certainly isn't unlikely you'll have one, and it'll probably be a neurosis like depression/anxiety. That doesn't sound comforting initially, does it? HOWEVER...it might be reassuring to know that being "abnormal" i.e mentally ill at some point really isn't that abnormal in itself on the grand scale of things.

Stats for schizophrenia...1% of the Western world population at some point will get it. If you think about it, it isn't terribly terribly rare.

Thread Information